PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 70Kbs copying files over lan. Was a lot higher yesterday

robmypro
March 6th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Got a strange issue. I have 2 Ubuntu desktop pc's. The one sharing files runs samba on the folder i am dealing with. I copy a few files over to the shared folder and I am getting 70kbs.

I've rebooted both machines. No change.

Any idea what would cause this?

robmypro
March 6th, 2009, 01:48 AM
A bit more info. I just tried the same operation from a Vista machine and got 11MB/sec speed. So it seems to be related to just Ubuntu, and possibly with samba.

Huufarted
March 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Wireless or wired?

Huufarted
March 6th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Also for the love of all that is holy, don't use samba when you're transferring between 2 Linux PCs. Use rsync, ftp/sftp, or nfs.

robmypro
March 6th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Also for the love of all that is holy, don't use samba when you're transferring between 2 Linux PCs. Use rsync, ftp/sftp, or nfs.

Thanks for the replies. There are wireless connections. The Windows PC is also wireless. Okay how do I use NFS or the others?

Yeah, I'm new!

robmypro
March 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Anybody have any ideas on this? I am still having horrible performance on my LAN. I can download files from the Internet with far greater speed than I can copy from the PC next to me.

I want to be able to use Nautilus to move/copy files. What is the best way to set this up? I still need samba, but it is Linux to Linux that is super slow.

Help!

robmypro
March 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM
A little more info...

I created a share on one Ubuntu PC. I created a new folder, and then selected Sharing Options from the shortcut menu. The good news is I can see the share. The bad news is the speed is horrible. Now this shared folder has nothing to do with the samba share I have.

Is samba impacting the speed of all my shares, even when they are not listed in the samba app? I am really at a loss to figure this out.

Thanks gang!

robmypro
March 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM
So nobody has any idea how to do this? Getting 35kbs today copying. XP Pro is looking better and better every day.