PDA

View Full Version : [other] Jurrasic Park computers

kidux
March 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I was watching that movie the other day, and the little girl mentioned the GUI as being unix/linux (bad memory, lol) and I got curious as to what it was? Sadly, I was still using Windows at the time of the movie release, so don't have any idea what it could have been. :popcorn:

scottuss
March 6th, 2009, 01:24 AM
She says "I know this, it's UNIX!" or something along those lines. Don't believe everything you see in films :lolflag:

kidux
March 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I did find a 3D virtual file manager a few years ago, so it's not out of the question I'm sure. Still I agree that nothing is as it seems in movies, lol!

mutation
March 6th, 2009, 04:11 AM
the file system engine used in Jerassic Park is FSN made by SGI, but is no longer availible by them

mpsii
March 6th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Damn... beat me to it...

SGI was the shiznit back "in tha day"... I never did like the 3D file system... too slow.

sti11_learning
March 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I read about that awhile ago. Out of curiostiy I did a search for a similar application. Low and Behold I found FSV-File System Visualizer. "http://fsv.sourceforge.net/" From what I have seen it is very similar to the SGI used in JP.
(I'm not sure if it is in the repos because I compiled from the source using the Tarball on sourceforge.)

Edit:Based on a search in Synaptic you have to use the Tarball. No package in the repos.

kidux
March 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I read about that awhile ago. Out of curiostiy I did a search for a similar application. Low and Behold I found FSV-File System Visualizer. "http://fsv.sourceforge.net/" From what I have seen it is very similar to the SGI used in JP.
(I'm not sure if it is in the repos because I compiled from the source using the Tarball on sourceforge.)

Edit:Based on a search in Synaptic you have to use the Tarball. No package in the repos.
Very cool. I may have to get this just for the sake of getting it, lol!

sti11_learning
March 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I mostly use it as a "toy" to explore my file system when I'm bored. It's easy to use once compiled. (Fortunently, it follows the standard, "./configure && make && make install") The only downfall I found since I got it like 3 months ago is that one can't perform file operations. (Move, Delete, Copy, etc.)
Still it is quite entertaining to play around with. ;)

kidux
March 7th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I mostly use it as a "toy" to explore my file system when I'm bored. It's easy to use once compiled. (Fortunently, it follows the standard, "./configure && make && make install") The only downfall I found since I got it like 3 month ago is that one can't perform file operations. (Move, Delete, Copy, etc.)
Still it is quite entertaining to play around with. ;)
That may be the same one I played with years ago on Slack. Couldn't do anything except explore the files, but I liked the
3D of it and it was kinda like an FPS.