PDA

View Full Version : Favorite DOS game?

smartboyathome
March 6th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Thats right, what is your favorite old school DOS game? I love MegaRace, it is better than some games now, and takes quite a few less resources. It was actually the first "shooter game" I played, back in ~2001-2002.

kidux
March 6th, 2009, 12:45 AM
That's easily Shadow Caster. Came out just after Doom. Used the engine but had the ability to look up and down, as well as fly and swim underwater. Great thing was the ability to shape shift into different creatures, based upon the need.

mhelmer
March 6th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Jet Pack.

First computer game i ever played. I was hooked

Sami_Sdata
March 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Zack Mckracken and the Alien Mindbenders
I used to play it on an EGA card. Fun puzzles to work on while drinking.

kaldor
March 6th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Quake!

smartboyathome
March 6th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Quake!

My grandfather actually had a computer which had it on it. I lost the game though because the hard drive became corrupt quickly after turning it on. I couldn't play it much. :(

DOS4dinner
March 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Space Quest, specifically SQIV. Mrs. Astro Chicken is the greatest minigame ever IMO. Anything made by Sierra was pure win...it's too bad they lost their touch.

Oh, and Jazz Jackrabbit. That game's music is epic.

yabbadabbadont
March 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Descent

thraxy
March 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Worms (1995). Personally I liked the original best out of the entire series.

kidux
March 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Space Quest, specifically SQIV. Mrs. Astro Chicken is the greatest minigame ever IMO. Anything made by Sierra was pure win...it's too bad they lost their touch.

Oh, and Jazz Jackrabbit. That game's music is epic.
Speaking of Sierra, I loved the Quest for Glory series. Especially the fact that it was one of, if not the first, to allow you to take your characters from previous games through the entire series.

namegame
March 6th, 2009, 01:06 AM
My first computer game ever was "Mixed Up Mother Goose" by Sierra. I believe it was the VGA remake. I was about 4 or 5 at the time. I downloaded it for Dos-box a while back and I realized that it was a terrible game, but it brought back good memories :)

kidux
March 6th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Anyone remember the California Games game? Where you skateboarded, surfed, windsurfed, etc? I played that and Pirates on the old Apple computers at my school as a kid.

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Daggerfall might be not only the best dos game, but the best of the Elder Scrolls series, as far as game play goes.

kidux
March 6th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Daggerfall might be not only the best dos game, but the best of the Elder Scrolls series, as far as game play goes.
I didn't play that when it was out, but I got it not to long ago for dosbox and couldn't figure out how to attack anything. Probably shouldn't have been hitting the sauce at the time though, lol!

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I didn't play that when it was out, but I got it not to long ago for dosbox and couldn't figure out how to attack anything. Probably shouldn't have been hitting the sauce at the time though, lol!

I haven't played it for years but if I remember it was a lot like Morrowind, they changed the battle system in Oblivion, so it's not comparable to that.

dragos240
March 6th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Snake, it was a long pixel snake that had to eat little dots and it's tail grew, trick was, you couldn't eat your tail or curl up, or you would lose a life.

dspari1
March 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Duke Nukem

bakedbeans4life
March 6th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Duke Nukem

I second that choice if you meant Duke Nukem 3D.

SUCK 'EM DOWN!!!

oldos2er
March 6th, 2009, 01:54 AM
My grandfather actually had a computer which had it on it. I lost the game though because the hard drive became corrupt quickly after turning it on. I couldn't play it much. :(

Both Quake and Quake II run extremely well in Ubuntu.

Corfy
March 6th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Star Wars: Dark Forces... the original.. "no bloody A, B, C or D!"

MarblePanther
March 6th, 2009, 04:19 AM
OMG, why am I the first to say this?

DOOM!

RichardLinx
March 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Cosmo, Duke Nukem, Jazz Jack Rabbit, Ally Kat, Secret Agent, Crystal Caves, Bio-Menace, Jungle Jill, Math Quest, Spell Quest, and some other game with a really weird name that I can't remember.. I think it was panghetzu or pinghutzu or something along those lines...
*misses old dos computer*

EDIT: I forgot to mention Quake and Wolfenstein! I didn't get to play those until about 1998 - 99 though.

Firestem4
March 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Duke Nukem, Street Fighter 2 (with megaman). Strike Fighter (still to this day my favorite jet game lol), Prince of Persia,Mega Race, and Rise of the Robots.

Rise of the Robots had some of the best graphics. Especially back then in 1994. It beats some of todays too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Robots (pics)

MarblePanther
March 6th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Rise of the Robots had some of the best graphics. Especially back then in 1994. It beats some of todays too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Robots (pics)

That is impressive!

Corfy
March 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Snake, it was a long pixel snake that had to eat little dots and it's tail grew, trick was, you couldn't eat your tail or curl up, or you would lose a life.

That reminds me of Gorillas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorillas_(video_game)), which had two gorillas on buildings on opposite sides of a city trying to kill each other by throwing bananas.

Northsider
March 6th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Doom.

liamnixon
March 6th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I played first person shooters (Doom and Wolfenstein, specifically) way too much when I was way too young. They kinda screwed me up when I was a kid and my brother told me to stop playing them after I got in trouble at school for writing somewhat violent sentences on an assignment in school! :shock:

On a lighter note, I was always fond of "Heroes of Might and Magic" and "Quest for Glory." Expecially when you drank the Dragon's Breath at the bar!

bsharp
March 6th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Indiana Jones and the Lost City of Atlantis.

Considering that was the only game I had, I guess that makes it my favorite.

handy
March 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Carmageddon :D

Funny the games a pacifist can enjoy! :popcorn:

I think Carmageddon made me laugh more than any other game I have played. After a long stint on it one night, where I had been splattering a lot of cows (I'm a vegetarian too!) I found my self eyeing off the cattle in the paddocks beside the road into town.

I thought that was pretty funny too. ;)

I tried but could not get Carmageddon to run under Wine. It was a while ago though, maybe I should give it another shot. I'll ask in the Wine sub-forum, maybe someone has done it?

Icehuck
March 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Warcraft 2 is the best DOS game ever. Though I always thought Hexen was a great game.

darsu
March 6th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Railroad Tycoon.

CJ Master
March 6th, 2009, 07:37 AM
"no bloody A, B, C or D!"

Caught the Star Trek reference :D (which is kinda sad >.<)

None for me... I mainly started with Win95.

OH WAIT! Commander Keen :D

Tristam Green
March 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Descent
Commander Keen
Duke Nukem/Nukum (original)
Wolfenstein 3D

pol666
March 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
prince of persia
jynx of jungle
doom ultimate

will1911a1
March 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Probably Ultima 6 or 7. I spent so monay hours playing those games...

Thelasko
March 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I tried but could not get Carmageddon to run under Wine. It was a while ago though, maybe I should give it another shot. I'll ask in the Wine sub-forum, maybe someone has done it?

Try it on DOSbox. Some games that ran in Windows back in the day were actually DOS games running in DOSbox (Command and Conquer Red Alert is an example). So instead of doing Linux>Wine>DOSbox>Game you will be running Linux>DOSbox>Game. It tends to work much better.

I would have to say Duke Nukem 3D followed by Command and Conquer Red Alert.

I've been working on some scripts to set up Red Alert in DOSbox, I just haven't gotten around to finishing them.

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I played first person shooters (Doom and Wolfenstein, specifically) way too much when I was way too young. They kinda screwed me up when I was a kid and my brother told me to stop playing them after I got in trouble at school for writing somewhat violent sentences on an assignment in school! :shock:

I played every violent game ever made, and watched rated r horror movies, and I never wrote "somewhat violent sentences on an assignment in school" Lets not start blaming video games, movies, or anything else for our bad behaviour.

der_joachim
March 6th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Either Descent (probably the first truly 3D game) or Hexen as FPS. Nowadays, I prefer adventures for my old skool games. My favourite has always been Discworld.

jomiolto
March 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Wolfenstein
Doom
Dune
Dune II
Warcraft II (never played the first one)
Monkey Island 2 (I never played the first one)
The Commander Keen series (especially 4)
UFO: Enemy Unknown (or X-COM: UFO Defense depending on where you live ;) )
X-COM: Apocalypse (lot of people seem to hate this, but I loved it :) )
Civilization
Ultima Underworld
SimCity 2000

And dozens of others that I can't think of at the moment ;)

lukjad
March 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I will really need to read through this thread. I just started looking at DOS games, and some of these look really useful.

bluelamp999
March 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
In the 80s, I wasted many hours at work playing Rogue (sometimes called PC Rogue).

The 'graphics' were just ASCII characters but it was strangely addictive...

amitabhishek
March 6th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Where In the USA Is Carmen Sandiego? (http://www.classic-pc-games.com/c64/games/where_in_the_usa_is_carmen_sandiego.html)

Loved it!

Jordanwb
March 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Skunny Kart racing.

On a related note, can I map keys to other keys? I'm trying to play JetPack and it's becoming a pain to see the num pad and I want to use the arrow keys instead. JetPack doesn't support changing controls

gnomeuser
March 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Speaking of Sierra, I loved the Quest for Glory series. Especially the fact that it was one of, if not the first, to allow you to take your characters from previous games through the entire series.

I had the first one but I never really got very far in that game. I am a big adventure fan though, Sierra used to make the greatest games. I practically learned english playing Leisure Suit Larry with a dictionary in my hand - to bad they don't make games like that anymore they are great for learning.

Aside that Civilization was great, I played a lot of Doom2 over serial link. Transport Tycoon Deluxe was amazing. Command and Conquer stole major parts of my childhood.

So many great games but non are able to take the place of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

sisco311
March 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
The Incredible Machine (aka TIM)
Golden Axe (best game ever :) )
Carmageddon
gta

init1
March 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Dungeon Crawl!
http://crawl-ref.sourceforge.net/

maybeway36
March 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Anything from http://www.textmodegames.com/ is fair game.

era86
March 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Dune2, Doom, Oregon Trail :)

RichardLinx
March 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention commander keen! I feel like playing some of those old dos games now. :)

kidux
March 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned Zork! What a great series of games, all text based making you visualize it in your head.

DOS4dinner
March 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I can't believe I forgot to mention commander keen! I feel like playing some of those old dos games now. :)

You can still download the shareware (The first episode) of Commander Keen and any other games they made from 3Drealms' site. They also let you buy full versions I believe.

Also, among many shareware games, www.classicdosgames.com has all of the DOS games that have been made legal freeware on his site. He actually has even gotten some authors to release the game as freeware and, in Xargon's case, open-source!.

I almost forgot: Tyrian 2000. Best space shooter ever, hands down. It's also freeware now!

Bölvağur
March 7th, 2009, 01:18 AM

commander keen old !! now I feel like I'm old. I got it and many other new games on a the 386 computer here next to me, dont you dare saying it is old :P:D

There are way too many games. My all time favorite may be one of these:

Commander Keen : Aliens ate my babysitter (game number 4 in the series)
Sid Mayer's Colonization
Tank Wars (always called Bomb because of the exe file)
Jones in the fast lane
Sim City
Bubble Bobble
baaah I have played almost every game out there too much... they are all my favorite :popcorn:

era86
March 7th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Haha! Sim City! Still a favorite to this day...

kidux
March 7th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Haha! Sim City! Still a favorite to this day...
I've got SC2K on my laptop, just cuz it's so much fun!

liamnixon
March 7th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I played every violent game ever made, and watched rated r horror movies, and I never wrote "somewhat violent sentences on an assignment in school" Lets not start blaming video games, movies, or anything else for our bad behaviour.

I'm not really blaming anything. I think I was the exception.

Besides, I still play those games nowadays. :D

Corfy
March 7th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Caught the Star Trek reference :D (which is kinda sad >.<)

I wasn't sure about mixing Star Trek and Star Wars refrences in one post, but there were enough games based on Dark Forces that it seemed appropriate.

Another game I should probably mention is Star Wars: X-Wing. It was a DOS game, and I played it once on a friend's computer. However, I didn't own it until much later when it was re-released for Windows.

kg4tah
March 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I second that choice if you meant Duke Nukem 3D.

SUCK 'EM DOWN!!!

I played Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem 2, and Duke Nukem 3d all on Dos. Duke Nukem 1 was a lot like Donkey Kong on the old Atari systems, I really can't remember too much about the 2nd but 3D got me hooked on first person shooters. After Duke Nukem 3D i moved over to quake 1, quake 2 and eventually quake 3. I have been playing Quake 3 since it came out. I guess the quake games do not count though since they were under the windows 95 and 98 platforms. I also played the Doom demo on DOS but never purchased the full version of the game.

handy
March 7th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Try it on DOSbox. Some games that ran in Windows back in the day were actually DOS games running in DOSbox (Command and Conquer Red Alert is an example). So instead of doing Linux>Wine>DOSbox>Game you will be running Linux>DOSbox>Game. It tends to work much better.

Thanks. :)

I posted the Carmageddon question in UF's Wine sub-forum & was very quickly given a link to the Wine app' database, which showed Carmageddon plays perfectly well in Wine these days, apart from a background flashing when using the menu. Which apparently has no effect on game play.

This was good news. I'll have a look for the disk & see how I go.

Also, it shows how familiar I am with Wine, as I should have searched their database myself first.

I only use Wine to run a couple of DVDRipping tools; use Crossover Games for Guild Wars & Cedega for Oblivion. Both of which don't get that much use these days.

I am looking forward to the release of Guild Wars 2. :D

dbbolton
March 7th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Definitely Wolf 3D

handy
March 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
You can still download the shareware (The first episode) of Commander Keen and any other games they made from 3Drealms' site. They also let you buy full versions I believe.

Also, among many shareware games, www.classicdosgames.com has all of the DOS games that have been made legal freeware on his site. He actually has even gotten some authors to release the game as freeware and, in Xargon's case, open-source!.

I almost forgot: Tyrian 2000. Best space shooter ever, hands down. It's also freeware now!

Thanks for posting the link to Classic DOS Games, it is a great site.

etnlIcarus
March 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
X-Wing.
Lost Vikings.
Warcraft: Orc and Humans.
Return to Zork (first graphical Zork game).
Lemmings.
Jill of the Jungle.

Bachstelze
March 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Duke Nukem 3D.

RedSquirrel
March 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Virtual Pool & Virtual Snooker -- I used to play those all the time.

Doom II
Rise of the Triad (that was really gory! :twisted:)
Descent
Links386 (golf)

yabbadabbadont
March 8th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Links386 (golf)

Oooooooooo. I forgot about that one. I've got the CD around here somewhere and I've already got DosBox installed...

/me heads out to the virtual greens

gilhooley
March 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Master of Magic. I still play it now and again.

RedSquirrel
March 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Oooooooooo. I forgot about that one. I've got the CD around here somewhere and I've already got DosBox installed...

/me heads out to the virtual greens
Good idea. I think I'll look for my copy as well. I had quite a few DOS games. Time to dig through the treasure trunk... :)

yabbadabbadont
March 9th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Good idea. I think I'll look for my copy as well. I had quite a few DOS games. Time to dig through the treasure trunk... :)

Actually, I just dug it out and it is the original Links, not Links386. Not to worry though, it still has amazing 256 color graphics... ;)

Onyros
March 9th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Oooooh... Leisure Suit Larry always comes to mind, really. As well as Full Throttle, a few years later, which is still one of my favourite games.

Indiana Jones classic point and click games are still a must, Gobliiins and its delightful little puzzles and wacky characters, the original Worms, Lemmings, Sid Meier's Pirates!... ah, those were the days.

And then, The Secret of Monkey Island. What a game, going through the fencing lessons... that was just brilliant. I still play a lot of these, mostly through ScummVM and DosBox, still highly addictive, very well conceived games.

Good thing we're not also talking about Speccy games, 'cos then I probably would have a hard time stopping.

era86
March 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM
X-Wing.
Lost Vikings.
Warcraft: Orc and Humans.
Return to Zork (first graphical Zork game).
Lemmings.
Jill of the Jungle.

OMG... Jill of the Jungle... buaahahhaha! I used to play that!

albandy
March 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Xenon 2

thadacto
March 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Prince of Persia - Back in early 1990s and it still takes some beating!!

jonobr
March 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Only one mention for Lemmings!

I cant believe it.

Man I was sooooooo addicted to that.

Also a good example of , the sequel not being as good as the original...

Also, spitfire ace (am I showing my age:-) )
This was first on the Atari 800xl and then came out for PC DOS

NickBtheITguy
March 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Sopwith! I used to play this for hours.

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/127

I also used to play a lot of Return to Zork. I also played a lot of BBS games like LORD and Trade Wars.

NE Key
March 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Civilisation.
Leisure Suit Larry
and an honourable mention for Lemmings.

UbuWu
March 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Lemmings and commander keen are my favourites! Also xonix is a nice little one.

era86
March 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Lemmings and commander keen are my favourites! Also xonix is a nice little one.

I think when lemmings came out, I was too young to figure out what the hell was going on. I just kept blowing them up!