PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to upgrade Firefox?

TimDaniels
March 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm running Firefox 3.0.6 on Ubuntu 8.04, and I'd like to upgrade Firefox to version 3.0.7 (available recently). I can't find any manual update link in Firefox, and Ubuntu's Upgrade Manager says that my system is up-to-date. Is there a several day delay until Ubuntu knows about the new Firefox version and Upgrade Manager will upgrade Firefox, or will I have to remove Firefox manually and download the new version from the Mozilla website myself?

*TimDaniels*

taurus
March 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Why not download the latest version to your $HOME. Then, unpack and run it from there until the new version gets into the repos so you can upgrade from 3.0.6 to the latest one with synaptic or apt-get.

Vince4Amy
March 6th, 2009, 12:42 AM
The new version should be packaged and will enter the repositories in a few days.

TimDaniels
March 6th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Why not download the latest version to your $HOME. Then, unpack and run it from there until the new version gets into the repos so you can upgrade from 3.0.6 to the latest one with synaptic or apt-get.

Thanks, Taurus. If the next version will enter the "repos" soon, I'd just as soon wait for it and use Synaptic. I'm in no rush - just wanted to know what the standard procedure is.

*TimDaniels*

TimDaniels
March 6th, 2009, 04:08 AM
The new version should be packaged and will enter the repositories in a few days.

Thanks, Vince. I'll wait, then.

*TimDaniels*

TimDaniels
March 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks, Vince. I'll wait, then.

*TimDaniels*

I didn't have to wait too long - just 2 days, and the notification appeared when I booted up that updates were available. I clicked the notification icon and entered my password... and now I'm running Firefox 3.0.7 . This is waaay too simple... \\:D/

*TimDaniels*