PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update manager fails??

quirijnquintus
March 5th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hi!
Recently my friend introduced me with Ubuntu and I wanted to try for myself. I wanted a dual boot so cleared space of my HDD of my laptop.
My Dvd/cd drive doesn't really work anymore (ticking sound when a cd-rom is read) So I decided to do a installation from a USBstick, which I made via my friends laptop, which runs Ubuntu.

The installation went fine and soon I had Kernel 2.6.27-7 on my system. After the first boot there are 262 updates which have to be installed. This takes a while. At 2/3 of the installed updates it suddenly restarts the system from grubloader but then this Kernel Panic occurs:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

So I turn the laptop off and on and see in the Grub loader that there is another kernel aswell: kernel 2.6.7-11

I presume this is the latest one where the updates are being installed so press enter en then the kernel panic occurs again.

Press off and on and try kernel 2.6.7-7. This version works, but on start up there is a message saying: Instal Problem: The configuration defaults for GNOME power manager have not been installed correctly.

What is happening? Can I restore Ubuntu?

specs.
Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop
1.60ghz Celeron
512mb RAM.
80GB HDD, in 3 partitions, on one is windowsXP, on the other some programs and the 3th and largest (42GB) was reserved for Ubuntu.

Pumalite
March 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
If you see Grub; boot into Recovery Mode and do:

dpkg --configure -a
apt-get -f install
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
One at the time

quirijnquintus
March 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
THnx :)I did not quite follow your advice, but I think it worked out. I went into recovery mode of the old kernel and did dpkg repair broken packages. It installed many more updates and after that the newer kernel 2.6.7-11 worked again. The only thing is that the old kernel is still in the GrubLoader. Can this be removed?

Pumalite
March 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. Backup first:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.old
Edit:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
You can now remove the old kernel from the list. I'd keep at least 2 kernels. You never know when you will need the other to boot.

Neo_The_User
March 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Hi!

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

I always get that error when trying to compile a kernel under 700K. Drives me insane.