PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a new motherboard for this laptop?

Maheriano
March 5th, 2009, 10:59 PM
My girlfriend has a Compaq Presario V3000 which died under the recall that HP has on their website. Unfortunately it didn't die within the 2 year time limit (why does it matter?) so now she's on her own because HP decided to use faulty boards in their machines. So any ideas where I can get a replacement board online for cheap? I guess I'd pay up to $100 for it, pretty sure the laptop is at least worth that.

gletob
March 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Are you sure HP won't fix it?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1817059&docname=c01087277#c01087277_identify

And if dealing with the intertubes doesn't work it couldn't hurt to call. Just talk to them like I would don't let them feel that they are in control. You must assert that you are the customer and you WILL get the results necessary. If they can't do anything DON'T hang up ask for a manager or supervisor. Remember sometimes pressing 0 many times will push through the auto mated prompts (Or if your calling verizon you scream AGENT!!!!!:-)).

Like my mom always says if they give you crap CHEW EM A NEW ONE!

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
My girlfriend has a Compaq Presario V3000 which died under the recall that HP has on their website. Unfortunately it didn't die within the 2 year time limit (why does it matter?) so now she's on her own because HP decided to use faulty boards in their machines. So any ideas where I can get a replacement board online for cheap? I guess I'd pay up to $100 for it, pretty sure the laptop is at least worth that.

Also, know that often laptop system boards have the other major components soldered to them. Laptops are by design-throw away items that are expensive to service.

Maheriano
March 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Are you sure HP won't fix it?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1817059&docname=c01087277#c01087277_identify

And if dealing with the intertubes doesn't work it couldn't hurt to call. Just talk to them like I would don't let them feel that they are in control. You must assert that you are the customer and you WILL get the results necessary. If they can't do anything DON'T hang up ask for a manager or supervisor. Remember sometimes pressing 0 many times will push through the auto mated prompts (Or if your calling verizon you scream AGENT!!!!!:-)).

Like my mom always says if they give you crap CHEW EM A NEW ONE!

I'm sure, the laptop is 2.5 years old:

This service enhancement program is available in North America for 24 months after the start of your original standard limited warranty for issues listed below; otherwise your current standard limited warranty applies. Customers who already have a 24 month or longer warranty period will be covered under their existing standard HP Limited Warranty.

I did call and they told me since it's outside the warranty period, they can fix it by putting in a new board for a total of $400.....I nearly choked when he told me that, the laptop cost $500! I might try calling them again, this is after they messed up my HP real bad and I ended up getting a complete refund for that one after a year. Both of our HP died randomly.

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I'm sure, the laptop is 2.5 years old:

I did call and they told me since it's outside the warranty period, they can fix it by putting in a new board for a total of $400.....I nearly choked when he told me that, the laptop cost $500! I might try calling them again, this is after they messed up my HP real bad and I ended up getting a complete refund for that one after a year. Both of our HP died randomly.

IME-laptops only have a life expectancy of about 3 years, if used as mobile computers. 2 years is short, yes. This is how laptops are-and why I stopped useing them, the costs cited by HP for out-of-warranty-repair are not that out of the ordinary.

Yes, it is wallet-rape. And yes it is ridiculous. But that is how things are.

Your story (and ones like it) are one of the main reasons why I tell people not to bother with laptops...unless they are either prepared to continue pumping $500-1000 on a 3-year interval, or pay for an extended warranty plan.

handy
March 6th, 2009, 01:45 AM
The following is a response to the statement that notebooks only last about 3 years.

My wife uses an Apple Powerbook, which I bought at the beginning of 2000. She carries it to the studio's where she teaches music, has multiple students use it each day. For some years it was her prime computer, she has done an enormous amount of work on the thing, & it is still going strong.

Perhaps the Apple notebooks are built better, or perhaps we are just lucky with this particular specimen?

Skripka
March 6th, 2009, 01:48 AM
The following is a response to the statement that notebooks only last about 3 years.

My wife uses an Apple Powerbook, which I bought at the beginning of 2000. She carries it to the studio's where she teaches music, has multiple students use it each day. For some years it was her prime computer, she has done an enormous amount of work on the thing, & it is still going strong.

Perhaps the Apple notebooks are built better, or perhaps we are just lucky with this particular specimen?

Want to borrow my UnderPowerBook G4 that after 3.5 years, gets random false overtemp signals and crashes?

Or perhaps my Toshiba is more your speed that is about 7 years old...that 3 years into it's life had everything replaced inside minus the CDRW and HDD-as a result of randomly frying invertor cards? PSsss-the keyboard dies a year or so ago...I'll have to call a newer owner to get it back for you.

handy
March 6th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Want to borrow my UnderPowerBook G4 that after 3.5 years, gets random false overtemp signals and crashes?

Or perhaps my Toshiba is more your speed that is about 7 years old...that 3 years into it's life had everything replaced inside minus the CDRW and HDD-as a result of randomly frying invertor cards? PSsss-the keyboard dies a year or so ago...I'll have to call a newer owner to get it back for you.

I agree with you that notebooks are a very poor financial investment, that really should only be used by people that have no other alternative to meet their requirements.

Actually the iMac is probably even worse than a notebook when it comes to the average user being able to access the internal components for repair or upgrade.

You have to remove the glass screen which is held in place by magnets, which when I eventually need to do it is a somewhat daunting task.

Can you imagine how much Apple would charge for that piece of glass if I broke it? :lolflag:

spcwingo
March 6th, 2009, 02:52 AM
@ the OP: Give ebay a shot. I find laptop boards on there all the time. As a matter of fact, it's the only reason my mother-in-law's Toughbook is running again.

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 02:57 AM
@ the OP: Give ebay a shot. I find laptop boards on there all the time. As a matter of fact, it's the only reason my mother-in-law's Toughbook is running again.

+1 I get all my parts off ebay. You get a DOA warranty, and I've never had a problem going this route. I have a p4 in my desktop right now that I paid $10 for, and I have a 15.4" screen in the mail now for my laptop that was only $60