PDA

View Full Version : Awesome screenshot app for Linux released!

Vadi
March 5th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Just thought I'd point this out to anyone who ever deals with screenshots. This app is designed to make everything around them easy :popcorn:

Site: http://shutter-project.org/

Digg to tell others: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Awesome_screenshot_app_for_Linux_released#

Latest update:

This is the first release of Shutter as it is - we've just renamed it from GScrot. So you'll now find it called Shutter inder Applications ▸ Accessories, along with a nicer new logo (thanks to Pascal Grochol for the design).

Major updates in this release are printing support, support for a whole lot of formats to save pictures in, support for watching changes to files (open the screenshot externally in gimp, save it - and shutter updates its copy), integration with GVFS (you can upload sites that you've connected to via Places ▸ Connect), better recognition for programs that can open a picture, faster thumbnail creation, and improved dialogs!

As if that weren't enough, here is the full changelog detailing every item updated:

* General changes
-- Rebranding from GScrot to Shutter
-- Exports to and opens all file formats supported by gdk-pixbuf
-- Added native printing support (instead of gtklp)
-- Watch opened files via GnomeVFS File Monitor to monitor changes
-- Integration of GNOME Virtual File System and
GNOME authentication manager (LP: #310780)
-- Respect non-rectangular windows (XSHAPE)
when using metacity (LP: #260771)
-- Use themeable icons wherever its is possible
-- Use systemwide MIME Information instead of config file
-- Move screenshots to trash instead of deleting them (LP: #313003)
-- Faster thumbail creation and caching
(improves gui startup when a lot of files are in last session)
-- Improved Dialogs (e.g. Settings Dialog)
-- Show context menu for each file in session tab (right click)
* Gui improvements
Show current profile in statusbar (LP: #279271)
Second toolbar removed (LP: #311626)
Progress bars (LP: #310299)
-- LP: #311627
-- LP: #312966
-- LP: #313346
-- LP: #326758
* Drawing Tool
Scale uniformly (LP: #310708)
Added standard actions (copy, cut, paste, delete) (LP: #313343)
Added censor tool to hide private data (LP: #317659)
-- LP: #310717
-- LP: #310721
-- LP: #311574
-- LP: #311576
-- LP: #311577
-- LP: #311580
* Miscellaneous
Shutter shows up in GNOME add/remove (LP: #322388)
Repository is not signed (thanks to the LP Team) (LP: #312681)
* Plugins
New hard shadow plugin (thanks to Tualatrix) (LP: #331914)
* Fixed bugs
-- LP: #303090
-- LP: #313761
-- LP: #316917
-- LP: #336120
-- LP: #336126
-- LP: #336121
-- LP: #336118
-- LP: #336133
-- LP: #336124
* updated translations

Polygon
March 5th, 2009, 11:56 PM
can it really take screenshots of entire websites? If so thats incredibly awesome.

also the name is a lot better.

damis648
March 6th, 2009, 12:05 AM
can it really take screenshots of entire websites? If so thats incredibly awesome.

Thank you so much for picking shutter, :popcorn:

Excedio
March 6th, 2009, 12:55 AM
This seems like a pretty awesome program. I think i'm gonna go ahead and try it out. :D

Vadi
March 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM

Yes, yes it can.

Vadi
March 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Thank you so much for picking shutter, :popcorn:

Thanks for helping us out man ;)

doorknob60
March 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Nice, I got older version installed, awaiting the AUR PKGBUILD maintainer to update it now :-)

Vadi
March 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Nice, I got older version installed, awaiting the AUR PKGBUILD maintainer to update it now :-)

Yeah that would be great. Share the post on Arch forums too ;)

5BallJuggler
March 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Just installed shutter, looks like a top quality app.

Thanks

BGFG
March 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Just today i was reminiscing on my support .doc creation days with snagit. Nice to see a high quality app in Linux. No use for it yet but very glad that the option is there.

Thanks to the Shutter team.

hotweiss
March 6th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Very nice! Thanks.

chucky chuckaluck
March 6th, 2009, 04:55 AM
is this a gui version of scrot, or can it do things that scrot can't?

kavon89
March 6th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I followed these (http://shutter-project.org/faq-help/ppa-installation-guide/) instructions to get it installed, but I used the correct (or so I think) repository for intrepid instead of hardy in the example obviously. The key said OK so I assume that worked...

shutter doesn't show up in a search and I've reloaded several times and restarted Synaptic... what is wrong?

(a crude screenshot attached)

JackieChan
March 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hmm...

kostkon
March 6th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I followed these (http://shutter-project.org/faq-help/ppa-installation-guide/) instructions to get it installed, but I used the correct (or so I think) repository for intrepid instead of hardy in the example obviously. The key said OK so I assume that worked...

shutter doesn't show up in a search and I've reloaded several times and restarted Synaptic... what is wrong?

(a crude screenshot attached)
Use the search option to find it and not the quick-search...

adamlau
March 6th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Way too many deps and slow as a turtle. Xfce Screenshooter 1.5.1 (standalone) is much cleaner, lighter and faster, even with Xfce deps.

mario.kemper
March 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Please use the search option instead of quick search as kostkon already suggested.
You can even install Shutter via terminal by entering:

sudo apt-get install shutter

Greetings
Mario

mario.kemper
March 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
is this a gui version of scrot, or can it do things that scrot can't?

No, it is an independent application which is offering a lot more features than scrot (terminal based app):

You can take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or even of a website - apply different effects to it, draw on it to highlight points, and then upload to an image hosting site, all within one window.

Just give it a try ;)

Greetings
Mario

mario.kemper
March 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Way too many deps and slow as a turtle. Xfce Screenshooter 1.5.1 (standalone) is much cleaner, lighter and faster, even with Xfce deps.

Due to the fact that Shutter offers features (embedded image editing tool, image uploading, plugin interface to add effects, session design etc.) that Xfce does not have there are some more dependencies.

Shutter is intended for people who need a bit more than standard tools (delivered within a Desktop Environment) are offering.

Greetings
Mario

sertse
March 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
It's good that both shutter and xfce screenshot exist.

Shutter is probably the most advanced screenshooting app around, and does everything and more.

Xfce screenshot on the other hand finally gives people a GUI screenshot app with minimal dependencies.

They are clearly made for different purposes...

Scubdup
March 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Shutter doesn't show up in a search and I've reloaded several times and restarted Synaptic... what is wrong?
Their instructions say to click the link (apt:shutter). Did you try that?

Polygon
March 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
im trying to set it to upload to my imageshack account, why do i have enter that url? they have phased out the url login thing and now they use a regular login/password....as i can't find my email that contained my login url, is there some way to retrieve it?

joey-elijah
March 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I've used gScrot on and off for a while but it was sooooooo slow and overly complicated JUSt to take a section of the screen or a window. This is an area where Windows's Snipping Tool certainly wins.

HOWEVER, i'm off to download shutter and see whether things have improved! A great snipping tool is something desperately needed in linux for all us reviewers etc!

EDIT: It's nice. Still takes far too long to load up and process a grab... still it's an obvious improvement - and an awesome new logo!

ELD
March 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Looks like a pretty dam good program, well done!

Vadi
March 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
EDIT: It's nice. Still takes far too long to load up and process a grab... still it's an obvious improvement - and an awesome new logo!

Yeah, imagemagick makes it a bit slow. Taking a fullscreen screenshot (2700ish by 1000ish) makes it use the cpu for 2-3s. But some speed improvements were done and we're always on the lookout for more ;)

mario.kemper
March 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM
im trying to set it to upload to my imageshack account, why do i have enter that url? they have phased out the url login thing and now they use a regular login/password....as i can't find my email that contained my login url, is there some way to retrieve it?

I am afraid uploading to imageshack is broken in Shutter 0.70. Sorry for that.
I've just opened a bug for this, so you can track the status here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/shutter/+bug/338829

I'll try to fix this as soon as possible.

Greetings
Mario

Vadi
March 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM
edit: double

kavon89
March 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Please use the search option instead of quick search as kostkon already suggested.
You can even install Shutter via terminal by entering:

sudo apt-get install shutter

Greetings
Mario

Worked thanks!

Therion
March 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Wow, this is slick! Very nice...