PDA

View Full Version : A Suggestion

SlackBrane
March 5th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I had a look for the 'suggestions' place but missed it so I thought I'd come to the cafe.... then again, having read the bit above, I think I am in the wrong place... Still.

I'll start out by saying I know not a lot. I have had minimal contact with Slackware and then took a go at Ubuntu. I Like.

Of course there is an 'however'.

One of the things I do like is the package management stuff. Just remember I am still basically useless though. I'll get this wrong so it's Canonical Supported, Third Party Supported and Scrub about in the bushes to find bits and pieces to dangle off the end of things and leave dross about the place when it does not work...

I'm not trying to act as a proponent but, having grown up with Delphi, I'm trying out Lazarus. I did get it going under Slackware and tried in Ubuntu 8.10, Intrepid.

That caused some problems but I got there again having read the forums on Lazarus and converted some RPMs to DEBs via Alien and then. Since I am just starting out with Ubuntu I ended up getting rid of the Slackware partition by re-installing Ubuntu.

Then I tried putting Lazarus back on it using the, lack of, method I used before. It did not work... So I used the other method, yes I do not have a clue, of thrashing about by going through the various installs and uninstalls before ending up with it working again.

I still 'think' I managed to remain within the realms of the package management system provided in Ubuntu... Mind you it was a bit automagical and I am left thinking that having messed about I managed to leave enough bits and pieces about the place to keep it happy.

It actually complains less so the target might be moving?

Anyway. This is not specifically about Lazarus but might apply to many/all non-canonical supported software.

I don't doubt that, and I've lost the reference, that different Linux implementations have different conventions about things. Hey... I've just realised what symbolic links might be used for.... but

Let's say that most of what Lazarus needed was already installed or, perhaps, available even if it had a different location/name. Then it might need some extra bits.

Would it be possible to provide a 'tool' for Third Party providers that would look through what their software wants and find out if it was available under the same name. I feel a head exploding moment coming on. Then do the same for stuff that is the same but has a different name.. with things in different places and other crumbley..

And...

Rather than having to hack about the place and stick symbolic links in directories in the search path or let it smear things about the place give the 'install' it's own 'local' list (translation table) of where to find stuff. If it uses other 'rubbish' then get it to place it in its own space.

I dunno.... Having sorted that apply it to Canonical Supported things?

I am a numpty but, as far as I can see, things as they stand are pretty messy.

Keith

Tibuda
March 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
By "suggestions place" you mean http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ ?

SlackBrane
March 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
OK... err thanks. I'll bookmark that one [done] and see if I can be bothered when I am sober... I mean think proper like.

Keith