PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Latitude D505 Complete Upgrade...

daisyfoofpoof
March 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Hi guys, I've got a Dell Latitude D505, and it's pretty crappy so I want to update it with more memory and and a bigger hard drive.
Here are the tech specs:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll72/zoombus/Specs.png
The only difference now is that I have Ubuntu Intrepid, so it's an ext3 drive. So could you tell me what I need to buy, how to install the memory, how in install the HD, and most importantly, how to transfer all my data to the new drive. Thanks!

martrn
March 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Regarding you Dell Latitude D505, and it's err upgrade with more memory and and a bigger hard drive.

It doesn't matter what operating system you have on it, the technical specifications are the same, the memory speed that you need/need and the memory type you need/want are on the screen.

If you have a max of 2GB of memory then you would need 2x1GB of RAM as it supports a maximun of two slots, and one of you slots will be full of the memory at preset.

You need a hard drive that supported by you manufacture motherboard, and most likely there will be a maximum capacity of storage written in your motherboard manual, but do not know what that would be.

An ext3 is a file system and not a disk drive. Any disk or disc drive will be capable of using the ext3 or other file systems. Usuall Dell Latitudes use Storage EIDE Ultra ATA 2.5" hard drives, so looking for one of these should be fine.

To install the HD, on any computer, I would always say make sure you buy a book, or pick an upto date book up from the libary. Handling memory processors and some system boards, require a fair amount (not impossiable) knowledge.

Most importantly, make sure you back up your data to the dvd or cd rom before installing the operating system afresh and copy you /home folder across at the end..

daisyfoofpoof
March 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks, and I was saying that it was an ext3 just because I was wondering weather I would have any problems copying files over.