PDA

View Full Version : AIM buddylist gone!

polobreaka
March 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
anyone's AIM buddylist gone?

it was working last night and when i woke up this morning at 7:20am, my buddylist is still there.

now im at work, my whole buddylist is gone. i had over 200 buddies.

just want to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem? im wondering if the server went dead or something?

this sucks.

is there anyway i can recover this? i tried to sign onto pidgin, AIM, AIMexpress, meebo, they all showed up the same.

dragos240
March 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
That's weird, anyway, AOL sucks bad. There is probably a better alternative anyway.

polobreaka
March 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
i use pidgin as my default IM messenger. but i have tried other alternative to log in to see if they are really lost..it looks like it is lost.

Polygon
March 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
ive been using my AIM account for years and i have never experienced this...might of been a glitch with AIM's servers, might of been a bug in some program that deleted your buddy list from teh AIM servers, i don't know.

Therion
March 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
.Friends don't LET friends use AOL.

wolfen69
March 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
i thought aol was dead.

Firestem4
March 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I experienced something just like that. although not nearly as bad. About 30 of my friends were inexplicably removed when I logged on a like 3 weeks ago.

I'm not reallly sure what happened. I've been using aim for over 6 years and this has never happened before. Thankfully at least, most of the S/N's that were removed, no longer log in anymore so its not much of a bother.

Polygon
March 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM
.Friends don't LET friends use AOL.

out of all the protocols i have used, AIM has been the most stable. Yahoo disconnects randomly sometimes (not often), msn is terrible, random disconnects all the time, and i can't find a good xmpp server, as jabber.org seems to always be down.

AIM is always working for me, no exceptions. Not to mention pidgin's support for aim and aim filetransfers is great, in most of the other protocols there are random bugs and stuff.

Also, the messengers people use is largely regional. Everyone i know in real life has a AIM account, while msn seems to be popular in other places

Firestem4
March 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Oh. and I'm sorry I don't think there is any way to recover the lost friends list. Maybe if you were to contact AOL tech support. I bet they would have backups of their servers. As far as any AIM client you have, they only interpret the AIM protocol. Your friends list is stored remotely on the AOL servers.

maybeway36
March 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
What protocol you use depends on who your friends are. You pretty much have to choose AIM/ICQ, MSN/Yahoo or Google/XMPP.

Polygon
March 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Oh. and I'm sorry I don't think there is any way to recover the lost friends list. Maybe if you were to contact AOL tech support. I bet they would have backups of their servers. As far as any AIM client you have, they only interpret the AIM protocol. Your friends list is stored remotely on the AOL servers.

they can still tell the AIM servers to delete users off the server list....so if there was a horrible bug in the program that deleted the entire thing, that would explain it

Firestem4
March 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
they can still tell the AIM servers to delete users off the server list....so if there was a horrible bug in the program that deleted the entire thing, that would explain it

Yes that is true.

But we don't know what happened really.

oh and whoever said they thought AOL was dead. Its not..theyjust changed their name to Time Warner Cable. lol

polobreaka
March 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
ive had my AIM screen name since AOL started. all of my friends and family uses it. whether if AOL sucks or not, i dont use AOL's service/mail, i just use the IM to keep in contact with my friends/family.

this totally blows, i use to save the buddylist in my email so i can login elsewhere, but couple years back, they have been storing it in their server so wherever i login, my whole buddylist would be there. ive never experience this either.

gletob
March 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
i thought aol was dead.

It is but doesn't know it.

polobreaka
March 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
i cant believe the aim.com message board have no threads at all. this is so rediculous. support is weak.