PDA

View Full Version : New Build of Windows 7 Allows Users to Uninstall IE 8

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128976

A just-leaked build of Windows 7 lets users remove Internet Explorer (IE), the first time that Microsoft Corp. has offered the option since it integrated the browser with Windows in 1997, two bloggers reported today.

I think this is fantastic news. Discuss!

metal1dragon
March 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Im big on Firefox. Cant say the number of time a prgram will open IE as my "main browser" was very annoying. Im liking this change a lot.

mihai.ile
March 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Great to hear, it seems Microsoft do learn from mistakes and provide a better product for the users.

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Great to hear, it seems Microsoft do learn from mistakes and provide a better product for the users.

It might be a move to satisfy certain anti-trust lawsuits against them, rather than a free gesture of good-will or of lessons learned. ;)

Dougie187
March 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM
It might be a move to satisfy certain anti-trust lawsuits against them, rather than a free gesture of good-will or of lessons learned. ;)

Lol, I don't think microsoft is one to "learn" from mistakes. I think they do things they don't want when they are forced to. One might remember a specific "Project Mojave" they did to try and jump start sales of vista, when everyone thought it sucked, perfect example of them not listening. "It's not what they want.. we will just have to cram it down their throats."

JohnFH
March 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM
How is this fantastic news? It should have been done a long time ago. It also still comes installed as default.

Anyway it has no bearing on me, at least at home, as none of my computers run MS software.

gjoellee
March 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I think any OS should come with an option to remove, and install every program installed with it. Like when I install Ubuntu, I would like to get an option to install any open source web browser.

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I think any OS should come with an option to remove, and install every program installed with it. Like when I install Ubuntu, I would like to get an option to install any open source web browser.

Well you can remove IE now...it will just kill your entire OS :D . The same with the bloated pig that is Mac Mail.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
How is this fantastic news? It should have been done a long time ago. It also still comes installed as default.

Yes, but from what I've read, even if Internet Explorer is installed as the default browser, it isn't attached to anything in the operating system at all as in previous versions of Windows. The operating system no longer relies on the existence of Internet Explorer to work properly. Therefore, it can be uninstalled safely and replaced with an alternate browser.

BGFG
March 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
But you still should'nt get excited over MS making win7 work the way an OS should. It's not a wonderful new feature, it's the way it should have always been.

Dragonbite
March 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Anyway it has no bearing on me, at least at home, as none of my computers run MS software.

It's still bad news that we won WWII! It should have been done long before that! WWII should have been done before WWI was done!

Whatever the history, this is good news that MS is opening up some. Yes, IE will be the default installed on Windows computers, just like Firefox is the default on most Gnome based computers and Konquerer on KDE-based distros. Just give me one to start, and I'll make the decision which one to use!

This also means can install IE 7 until IE 8 is good enough.

jocheem67
March 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
IE doesn't get removed, win7 as all it's predecessors rely on it ...has to do with HTML being tightly integrated into windows.( am I right ? )
Only the .exe gets removed which is not a biggy....

This is done I think because of the European anti-trust policies, and ofcourse the lobby that opera, mozilla and google are currently performing.

Here in Holland on the techie wbsites there's alot of discussion going 'bout this "ms-bashing"....
People feel also that ms. has a right to bundle IE, as does apple with safari, and ubuntu with fe. firefox and evolution ( which also isn't easily removed ).

Still in europe at least the argument is that being a monopolist is bad for business and brings a new set of rules..
Competitors to MS should have a fair chance, and the pushing of IE does not provide in that. That's the reason for the European Commitee, and I can relate to that.;)

oasmar1
March 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I still don't understand what the big problem with IE being installed for users. I mean, it isn't exactly taking up a large amount of space on the hard drive and it is never opened unless a badly programmed application uses a direct call to IE rather then the more correct internet browser call. IE will not autoload, you can remove the links from your desktop, even MSN has finally started using the default browser. I have got Vista and IE has barely even been used. I just needed it to download Google Chrome.

Polygon
March 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
what will happen to all the programs that rely on internet explorer to embed a web browser into their application?

Even though this news is good, i dont think anyone should uninstall IE just yet. A lot of things still rely on it.

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
It's a start, but it's going to take a lot more than that to tame this monopoly.

It's not pretty, but it's going to take the government regulating the software industry and requiring all companies to make a Mac and Linux version of their software to be able to level the playing field.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
It's not pretty, but it's going to take the government regulating the software industry and requiring all companies to make a Mac and Linux version of their software to be able to level the playing field.

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with the government requiring software companies to make software for every operating system.

maybeway36
March 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Microsoft has done some anticompetitve things, but most of their market share is simply because people are familiar with and make software for Windows. This goes back to before GNU/Linux on the desktop was as common as it is today, with Windows being more popular for home use than OS/2 and more accessible to computer manufacturers than Mac OS.

Simian Man
March 5th, 2009, 08:53 PM

I'll take ways to destroy the economy for $500.

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with the government requiring software companies to make software for every operating system.

Here's the way I see it:
Monopoly = Illegal
Microsoft = Monopoly
Microsoft = Illegal

Since Microsoft is Illegal, something needs to be done to make it legal. My idea is that the government needs to regulate the software industry. You don't need to apologize to disagree with me, but I would appreciate it more if you gave me a better idea to eliminate this monopoly.

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Monopolies are not good for the economy. In fact, nobody wins under a monopoly.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/glossary/g/monopoly.htm

"Monopolies are usually bad for an economy because they restrict free trade, which allows the market itself to set prices."

cmat
March 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
what will happen to all the programs that rely on internet explorer to embed a web browser into their application?

Even though this news is good, i dont think anyone should uninstall IE just yet. A lot of things still rely on it.

That's done with a separate control that can be packaged with your application. Maybe with the link severed Windows may be less susceptible to attacks.

Simian Man
March 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Monopolies are not good for the economy. In fact, nobody wins under a monopoly.

Yeah but such a mandate wouldn't work because it would cause many software companies to keel over dead. A solution I would go for would be to mandate that governments and schools use free software to cut costs and break the monopoly.

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah but such a mandate wouldn't work because it would cause many software companies to keel over dead. A solution I would go for would be to mandate that governments and schools use free software to cut costs and break the monopoly.

Of course mandating governments and schools could help, but I'm not convinced that it's enough. I'm all for trying smaller actions before trying something as drastic as my idea, but in the end the monopoly has to end.

Also, the companies that keel over and die will be replaced by new companies that will succeed. We should let them die, and they'll be replaced by new companies that do it better. If there were no monopoly, these companies would be writing for more than just Windows.

To put things into perspective, we shouldn't condone monopolies just because companies will go out of business. That's like giving GM more money because they'll go out of business if we don't (IMO giving money to GM is protectionism and against free trade). Not an exact analogy, but I feel that there is a similarity.

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Pssssss-

I hate to be the one to tell ya...but it ain't exactly in good shape right now anyway.

Vince4Amy
March 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'd like to uninstall Evolution easily on Gnome.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Saying the government should mandate that all software companies should make software for all platforms is like saying the government should mandate that McDonald's should start making Whoppers.

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Saying the government should mandate that all software companies should make software for all platforms is like saying the government should mandate that McDonald's should start making Whoppers.

McDonald's isn't a monopoly.

mkendall
March 5th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'd like to uninstall Evolution easily on Gnome.
Uninstalling Evolution is easy. It's re-installing all the other stuff that gets removed with it that's the bitch.

binbash
March 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Good to hear that we can remove IE!

smartboyathome
March 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I wonder... have they now divided Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer? If not, then you'd better have your own desktop shell installed when you uninstall IE, or it will kill Windows.

Now, if only there was a good replacement for the windows "file" explorer that didn't cost money, then I could hope that Windows Explorer would be competely uninstallable.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
McDonald's isn't a monopoly.

I wasn't comparing McDonald's to Microsoft. I was comparing it to software companies.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I wonder... have they now divided Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer? If not, then you'd better have your own desktop shell installed when you uninstall IE, or it will kill Windows.

Now, if only there was a good replacement for the windows "file" explorer that didn't cost money, then I could hope that Windows Explorer would be competely uninstallable.

I think being able to uninstall the browser is the first step Microsoft is taking to completely seperate Windows Explorer from Internet Explorer. There are plenty of beta builds left to be released, and if I was to guess, we'll see the progression take place slowly from one build to the next.

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Isn't it every software firms best interest to avail themselves of as many platforms as possible? The only people this kinda thing stings are the mega-giants which no one is really that fond of their tactics anyway.

If people had the choice-wouldn't they rather save money from a site-license for Windows for a studio of AdobeCS machines and use Linux?

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I wasn't comparing McDonald's to Microsoft. I was comparing it to software companies.

If McDonald's burgers caused another company to be a monopoly, then I'm all for the government regulating the burger industry to eliminate the monopoly.

I'm also pretty sure McDonald wouldn't go out of business for making whoppers either.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Think about it.

Let's say the government forced Adobe to fully support all operating systems. Because of this, it would be possible to install Adobe programs on Windows, Linux, OS X, etc. The use of Adobe products would skyrocket, causing alternative programs, like Gimp and Inkscape to possibly suffer as a result.

If the government were to force companies to make their products available to all operating systems instead of their intended user bases, they'd be creating multiple monopolies rather than fixing one large monopoly.

dspari1
March 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Think about it.

Let's say the government forced Adobe to fully support all operating systems. Because of this, it would be possible to install Adobe programs on Windows, Linux, OS X, etc. The use of Adobe products would skyrocket, causing alternative programs, like Gimp and Inkscape to possibly suffer as a result.

If the government were to force companies to make their products available to all operating systems instead of their intended user bases, they'd be creating multiple monopolies rather than fixing one large monopoly.

The use of Adobe products wouldn't skyrocket due to the fact that it's already being used in Windows which is monopolized to begin with. The only thing a Linux version of Photoshop would do is give their current user base the ability to switch their operating system.

I don't think Gimp's marketshare would suffer unless people start pirating photoshop which in itself is illegal.

Bart_D
March 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
If I get Windows7(if it did happen....and that's a big if.....it would only be 4 or 5 years down the road), I wouldn't think twice before using Google Chrome.