PDA

View Full Version : Acid 3 ...

Tews
March 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Has any browser passed the Acid3 test 100%? I tried it with FF3.06 and it only scored 70 Opera scored 85. Has ANY browser actually passed 100%?

billgoldberg
March 5th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Has any browser passed the Acid3 test 100%? I tried it with FF3.06 and it only scored 70 Opera scored 85. Has ANY browser actually passed 100%?

Some beta browsers did.

smartboyathome
March 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Not any browser, but Webkit has for a while. :)

zika
March 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Opera 10 does.
FF3.1 gets 93.
FF3.2 gets 94.

djxcon
March 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Epiphany + WebKit = 100%

zika
March 20th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Epiphany + WebKit = 100%
I see that there is a caution that some things are missing from epiphany-webkit package (in synaptic). what is missing and what important is missing? I liked epiphany while in ibex and when I tried epiphany now in jaunty I got some stupid error that some file was missing from /usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/locales/ and it bugged me whenever I started epiphany so I quit.

tsali
March 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
I don't find the Acid3 test to be very indicative of real world browsing experience.

I would rank Epiphany and Opera at the bottom of my list for user experience. They have always been buggy and unstable for me with hit or miss rendering.

My real world experience indicates browsers rank as follows:

1) IE8
2) FF3 / IE7 (tie)
3) Safari
4) Chrome
5) Opera
6) Everything else

My experience varies depending on the OS. Obviously, FF3 is top dog on Ubuntu, Safari is king of the jungle on OSX and IE8 on Vista.

Skripka
March 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Not any browser, but Webkit has for a while. :)

Arora almost does, 100% but "Link test failed".

dragos240
March 21st, 2009, 02:12 AM
IE8 for 1? IE 8 is really... bad

andamaru
March 21st, 2009, 02:21 AM
Webkit tends to support the new acid tests that come out, opera tends to follow. Firefox supports most of the main features of the test. Microsoft needs a few years to catch up.

Bungo Pony
March 21st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Microsoft needs a few years to catch up.

I really resent the Microsoft Bashing on this forum. Remember, you wouldn't have tabbed web browsing if Microsoft hadn't innovated it in IE7.

;)

cc8balla
March 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM
I really resent the Microsoft Bashing on this forum. Remember, you wouldn't have tabbed web browsing if Microsoft hadn't innovated it in IE7.

;)
Haha, I'm not going to take this seriously.

...you aren't serious though, are you? can't tell through text. :D

bryonak
March 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM

;)

Hard to tell if you're just fooling around...
Because he's quite correct on the issue regarding Microsoft and web standards...
IE7 introduced tabs? OK, you troll ;P

Roofdaddy
March 21st, 2009, 03:53 AM
That's the bad thing about type speek...it can be fun or impertinent at times ....:lolflag:

entr3p
March 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM
I'm pretty sure Midori passes the Acid 3 test because it uses Webkit. :D

cc8balla
March 21st, 2009, 03:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Midori passes the Acid 3 test because it uses Webkit. :D

It does, but at the moment, I find Midori unusable, because it crashes randomly on loading javascript elements.

entr3p
March 21st, 2009, 04:11 AM
It does, but at the moment, I find Midori unusable, because it crashes randomly on loading javascript elements.

Yeah that's true. Once it's stable I will use it as my "second" browser. Mostly just for quick surfing or something. :P

Polygon
March 21st, 2009, 04:24 AM
someones signature is a code snippit of webkit that shows how they 'cheated' a bit to pass the acid3 test

bryonak
March 21st, 2009, 04:25 AM
Yeah that's true. Once it's stable I will use it as my "second" browser. Mostly just for quick surfing or something. :P

I'm going to use Dillo2 a lot as soon as it gets better CSS support (2.1 is coming "really soon").

tsali
March 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
IE8 for 1? IE 8 is really... bad

Works better and faster than anything else on Vista and W7. It has performed flawless since I installed it.

In three years of using Microsoft products, they have all performed flawlessly. I haven't seen a single instance of problems that many in these forums are sure that Windows users must be having.

Makes me wonder if they're talking about a different Microsoft than the one I've experienced.

SunnyRabbiera
March 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Wait for the browser exploits in IE*, bet they will still be the same exploits Microsoft has yet to fix even after 6 years.

tom66
March 22nd, 2009, 02:07 AM
IE 8 doesn't do too bad on rendering pages. About up to par with Firefox 1.5. But... it's still a part of Windows AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) and therefore makes Windows very much vulnerable to its own bugs.

Cl0ud9
March 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
How well does IE8 do on the acid3 test. Isn't it something like 20/100?

tsali
March 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
How well does IE8 do on the acid3 test. Isn't it something like 20/100?

That was my point...the Acid3 test doesn't seem to reflect real world experience. Epiphany scores very well but is infuriating to use.

As far as "exploits" go, I'll let you know when I have trouble with those...

ethanay
March 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
That was my point...the Acid3 test doesn't seem to reflect real world experience. Epiphany scores very well but is infuriating to use.

As far as "exploits" go, I'll let you know when I have trouble with those...

I know this is an old thread, but heck, I'll bite :) (and bump...)

As I understand it, there are two reasons why Acid3 doesn't yet reflect "real-world experience:"
1. the reason why it was created in the first place: to implement and enforce standards-compliance so simplify website creation and increase the quality of the browsing experience.

2. there are other aspects of browser experience, such as the fundamental stability of the platform, that also affect "real world" user experience.

re: #1 above...
I believe Microsoft, true to its monopolistic tendencies, thought it could just implement whatever in IE* and, because of its market share, whatever it did would become the *de facto* web standard.

As a result, a. many "heritage pages" were originally encoded to be rendered in IE*, forcing other browsers to be "IE* compliant" and b. contemporary websites may contain "IE-compatible" code

So really, the development of the Acid* tests is an important part of the end of the pain in the *SS that is Microsoft's smug approach to standards compliance.

Course, I fully expect Microsoft to be dragged through standards kicking and screaming, in turn making its users suffer. EG, imagine if every web-page were all the sudden fully standards-compliant. IE* users might be up in arms b/c so few would render correctly.

As is often the case with these sorts of things, the IE* users would be angry at the website developers, not Microsoft. Which is exactly what Microsoft wants as it seeks monopoly.

Ending note: this is one thing that I like a lot about the FOSS philosophy -- it's generally about different options, approaches, and choices. Not about total market domination. :evil:

user1397
March 12th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I just tried the test on IE, FF, safari, chrome, and opera all on windows 7 and here are the results:

IE8: 20/100
FF3.6: 92/100
Safari4, Chrome4, and Opera10: 100/100

squilookle
March 13th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Just tried all my browsers because I was curious:

Android browser: 93/100
Firefox 3.6: 94/100
Chrome 4: 100/100

Android 1.6 on a g1

Other two on arch linux.

murderslastcrow
March 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Microsoft has a bad reputation, but they don't seem to care about it. If they had any real plans to make things better, then I'd say you shouldn't be so critical. But really, they're asking for it.

I bet their programmers go swimming in pools of USD on their 5 hour breaks before they get back to work. Okay, enough defamation, but really, IE 8, even on its main platform, isn't quite as fast as Firefox. However, it is a great deal faster than IE 7.

samjh
March 13th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Most WebKit browsers pass the test: Chrome, Epiphany, Midori, Rekonq, Safari, et al.

Opera 10 is the only non-WebKit browser that passes.