PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Linux GUI security compared to Linux CLI security

lukjad
March 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I am taking a Course on Cisco and heard something that confused me. The instructor said that the GUI of Linux was handled as an application and because it was a NetOS was more prone to being cracked than Windows was, and therefore was less secure. I'm unsure what he means by this, or if it's true. Could someone fill me in please? (If and when I get more information on what he was talking about, I'll post it here.) I am fairly sure that he doesn't know much about current Linux security, as the last version he used was RedHat 9 and he thinks that to install Flash takes over 7 steps. Links to tutorial or blog posts on this subject would be very much appreciated.

cdenley
March 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I am taking a Course on Cisco and heard something that confused me. The instructor said that the GUI of Linux was handled as an application and because it was a NetOS was more prone to being cracked than Windows was, and therefore was less secure. I'm unsure what he means by this, or if it's true. Could someone fill me in please? (If and when I get more information on what he was talking about, I'll post it here.) I am fairly sure that he doesn't know much about current Linux security, as the last version he used was RedHat 9 and he thinks that to install Flash takes over 7 steps. Links to tutorial or blog posts on this subject would be very much appreciated.

The windows GUI also runs as an application (explorer.exe), so I'm not sure what he means by that. Also, I don't think Linux is more of a NetOS than the latest releases of Windows Server. Technically, I don't think either are Network Operating Systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_operating_system#Misconception

lukjad
March 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM
The windows GUI also runs as an application (explorer.exe), so I'm not sure what he means by that. Also, I don't think Linux is more of a NetOS than the latest releases of Windows Server. Technically, I don't think either are Network Operating Systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_operating_system#Misconception
That makes sense. I really don't understand what he meant, and thought it was just me.

HermanAB
March 6th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Your instructor probably also doesn't know that most Cisco routers run Linux as their OS. There are many good reasons why they don' run Windows...

Cheers,

Herman

lukjad
March 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Nice to know, thanks.