PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wired and Wireless Help PLEASE!!!!!!!!

dphoenixa
March 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have an HP Pavilion dv5000. I recently reseted the router to my wireless router and before I reseted the router my wireless was working flawlessly. The wireless router is back to what it was before the reset.

My problem is that I have no way to connect to the internet unless it's directly put into the modem if I go through the router at all I am unable to connect via Wire or Wireless. I have other computers connected through the router that are working just fine.

The router has mac address filtering and a password to the wireless which both are correct. I've checked...which seems to be like a 100s of times by now.

I dual boot with windows and windows isn't even able to connect. I am baffled and frustrated!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

N04h
March 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM
If windows can't connect, assuming you changed nothing there it sounds like a hardware problem. Is windows exactly how it was before? Do you have a wifi button you need to push to turn it on?

dphoenixa
March 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Nothing was changed at all. On the windows nor Ubuntu. I do have the button and it is on. It was working, with no problems before without the mac address filtering. Later that night it just stopped working at wasn't able to work for the past 2 days. I turned off the mac address it still doesn't working

N04h
March 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Try restarting your router by just unplugging it for a few minutes.

lindsay7
March 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Most routers have a reset to factory defaults somewhere on the device. They make it hard to find so most people do not mess with it. It probable is a small hole like the one for extracting a cd. If you press it for a couple of seconds it will reset to the factory defaults, and you can set up the router from scratch. If this does not work, it may be bad. At least that would be my guess if you comuters are set up correctly to match the router settings.

N04h
March 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Most routers have a reset to factory defaults somewhere on the device. They make it hard to find so most people do not mess with it. It probable is a small hole like the one for extracting a cd. If you press it for a couple of seconds it will reset to the factory defaults, and you can set up the router from scratch. If this does not work, it may be bad. At least that would be my guess if you comuters are set up correctly to match the router settings.

There is a difference between resetting and restarting a router.

Resetting a router involves the above mentioned method. On some linksys routers you push a button on the front that lights up blue. The rest are basically as described. This is not what you want to do!

Restarting a router involves unplugging the router for a few minutes. This flushes anything that is stored in RAM (Temporary Storage) and forces the router to load settings from permanent storage. This method is much easier and will fix a lot of the issues that a resetting will do without having to reset up the router. Basically try this first!!!

Hope this helps!

dphoenixa
March 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I have already reseted the router to do from scratched. That is where the problem began. I have restarted the router and it still didn't do anything for me earlier.

As soon as I got home from work. My internet was working but was only working for about an hour before it stopped and I could not reconnect to the router. It would see it I would restart it and still wouldn't be able to connect. I restarted the computer I would be able to connect to it. It has lost connection and then found it self once within the time I've posted this one reply.

It is making no sense to me at all.

Thank you all for your suggestions

N04h
March 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Did you reset up your router with the settings from your ISP?

Are you plugging in the cables into the correct locations?

dphoenixa
March 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yes I am. Everything is how it is suppose to be. It's like nothing changed but my crappy connection with my laptop. It's the same.

lindsay7
March 5th, 2009, 10:33 PM
When I have had router problems,I would try setting up as simply as possible, just to see if it was working, i.e., broadcast the ssid, no security (no wep or wap), no restricted ip or macs addresses. If if does not work like that and if you can not get the internet with a hard wired connection thru the router, my guess is that the router is bad. I would borrow or buy a new one and see if that gets you going again. I just had to give up on a netgear usb adaptor that was trouble and buy a linksys that the forum suggested would work. Sometimes spending a little money is cheaper then spending all the time with something that is making life difficult.

dphoenixa
March 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've done all that, but other computers are working just fine and mine is the only one that is having problems. My wireless card is perfect for linux and works flawlessly and I have never had a problem with it before. This is the 1st time I've ever had a problem with my computer and the router.

N04h
March 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
You wouldn't happen to have a linksys router?

Can other wireless devices connect?

dphoenixa
March 6th, 2009, 03:39 AM
no it's a belkin

N04h
March 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Are all the other devices connected wired?

Can you confirm that another wifi device can connect?

dphoenixa
March 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM
My father uses his laptop and gets connection and my computer gets connection on various times, but can't keep the connection sometimes.

N04h
March 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
My suspicion is that it is either buggy drivers or interference. Microwave or cordless phone perhaps?

dphoenixa
March 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Why would those things get my way now? When those things never got in the way before. That doesn't make much sense. Would it be possible if another wireless came into the neighborhood, could that affect my wireless?

N04h
March 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
You could try switching channels. Run kismet or netstumbler and see if you are on the same channel as another. It's worth a try.

dphoenixa
March 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I switched the channels and it worked just fine. It has problems every so often but it seems to be working better I think i just gotta find the right channel. THANK YOU!