PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Minimal

uWitchDoctor
March 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
It may be the case that this has been covered alot on these forums however a search for ubuntu base, ubuntu minimal, ubuntu lite, ubuntu basic, ubuntu clean, ubuntu no applications, etc, etc didn't yield any usful results for me.

I recently recieved my eee and who in their right mind would want to replace xandros with ubuntu or at least some other linux distro than the default kiddy one.

I hastely installed ubuntu 8.10 and array.org packages and eee-control packages. Then I set about getting rid of the packages I don't need.

My question now is can I download ubuntu without all the office apps, etc installed? or can I install ubuntu and choose not to install these packages?

uWitchDoctor
March 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Well, I have found the mini.iso here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD. It might be nice to put diferent options like this on the getubuntu page because the last place I ever look is in documentation :)

Cheers :)
Sorry for the wasted thread :(

bubwitmaingay
March 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
You can use eeeXubuntu also if you really loved to use Ubuntu for every machine that you have. Nonetheless, there are other distros available for eeePC especially the 2g, 4g or 8g surf.

Try eeePCLinuxOS (Fedora) or Pupeee (Slackware). The former takes time to boot - about 3 minutes, can be installed into the machine for 700MB and has all the apps needed (togo); but the latter only takes about 30 seconds to boot, for less than a hundred MB installation space and has also all the apps needed.

Just FYI, thanks. 8)