PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ubuntu and Eclipse

josephmo
March 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Does anyone know when Ubuntu will add support for the latest Eclipse packages to the Ubuntu Package Installer? the current Package Installer support and older version.

kaivalagi
March 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Does anyone know when Ubuntu will add support for the latest Eclipse packages to the Ubuntu Package Installer? the current Package Installer support and older version.

I gave up a long time ago

Just download Ganymede (3.4) from the eclipse website and install manually...no compiling necessary, there are pre-built binaries available for 32 and 64 bit architectures.

josephmo
March 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I gave up a long time ago

Just download Ganymede (3.4) from the eclipse website and install manually...no compiling necessary, there are pre-built binaries available for 32 and 64 bit architectures.

Thank you for the prompt reply. So I did that, and the problem is that I cannot figure out how to install it so it would appear under Programming, and I discovered that if it's not in the "default" location, some of the preferences will not work.

Did you run into that same issue?

dentharg
March 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Simply edit your start menu and add it by hand ;)

That's what I did.

kaivalagi
March 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
simply edit your start menu and add it by hand ;)

that's what i did.

+1

matamoscas
July 5th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I have been having weird behavior from Eclipse, which kind of stinks with a modern system =)

Anyway..I will download the version from the website.

I half suspect (as previously) my problems are with the default java that comes with the system. Previously, I upgraded to some free-java project, and it worked pretty well, thereafter.

I will download the newest eclipse, if problems still persist, I will find another version of jre-6.

kaivalagi
July 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I have been having weird behavior from Eclipse, which kind of stinks with a modern system =)

Anyway..I will download the version from the website.

I half suspect (as previously) my problems are with the default java that comes with the system. Previously, I upgraded to some free-java project, and it worked pretty well, thereafter.

I will download the newest eclipse, if problems still persist, I will find another version of jre-6.

I am using sun-java6-jre/jdk, works fine

matamoscas
July 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I got the java-sun-6jre, installed and even got the system pointing to it =)

I following the instructions from this URL:
http://mnshankar.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/installing-eclipse-with-pdt-ganymede-on-64-bit-ubuntu/

I can even launch Eclipse from the /opt/eclipse/ folder, when i type ./eclipse.

However, I have been unable to make a menu...err I stop here. =) figured that out.

Anyway, what I gotta figure out now is to install (manually) the python addon?

Thanks for the response.

I love you guys!! =)

Got it all setup and running GREAT finally =)

kaivalagi
July 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Got it all setup and running GREAT finally =)

You'll never live without PyDev again :)