PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] It about Download an Ubuntu CD on a DVD?

limiz
March 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM
All I have it a DVD with 4.7GB. And I'm wondering if I can just download and but it on a DVD then a CD?? I'm new still kind of new to linux. I try OPENSuSe 11.0. And try to get help with the people on there. Trying to say I'm a nooby. And give a step by step help. Sometime the will help but not all the time.

1) Can I just but it to a DVD???

2) Is there some kind of step by step guide to installing to the DVD?

3) Is there a easy guide to install Ubuntu to the computer? Still want to keep my XP.

4) Can I used the latest version?? AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ | 2.20 GHz 1.87GB of RAM | GeForce 6100

lindsay7
March 5th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Look on youtube for video help. You should be able to burn the Ubuntu iso file to a dvd it just will not use much space on the disk. You will want to learn how to set up a dual boot system. The system you have should work fine

Partyboi2
March 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM
To dual boot you can follow this (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm) guide through.

lindsay7
March 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM
1. Download Ubuntu, it will be a file that ends with .iso.

2. Burn that file to a cd or dvd using cd burning program that will burn an .iso file. Not all programs will do that. There should be a choice of what type of fiel you want to burn, audio, data, data iso, etc.

3. Put the cd or dvd into the computer so that the computer start up from being off with the Ubuntu cd or dvd in the drive. It should start up and give you the choice to start the live Ubuntu program or install. It also will let you check the cd to see if it is good. You can install Ubuntu from the live session too.

limiz
March 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
So about 4??? Can I used the latest Ubuntu on my computer??

lindsay7
March 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
yes you can the latest is 8.10 down load the one that is marke 386 or x86 something like that. You will see on marked 64 or 64 byte or amd64. Just get the 386. It is the one that you will want.