PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me fix this laptop?

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Urgh.
My dad took apart this Dell Inspiron 5510 and its been stuffed in a drawer.
Well its not really taken apart, but the screen is hanging off (wires still seem perfectly attached), the whole motherboard and all that is together, only a few plastic pieces and stuff are off, which I can easily put back on.
It turns on, everything seems like its working perfectly, but the monitor won't cut on. The wires are attached, so I'm not sure why it won't work. Should I try putting all the pieces back on first? Or wait and see.

ironcitypete
March 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM
It sounds like the back light is bad. Hold a lamp up close to the screen and see if you can see anything then. You will need to look closely the picture will still be faint

abn91c
March 5th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I just replaced the LCD in my Inspiron 1000 today, it took me about 20 minutes to do it, put everything back together if the laptop works with an external monitor then the screen is bad, I used http://www.laptopaid.us, an ebay store it cost me $100 for a new screen, free 3 day shipping

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM
It sounds like the back light is bad. Hold a lamp up close to the screen and see if you can see anything then. You will need to look closely the picture will still be faint

Completely black :|

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I just replaced the LCD in my Inspiron 1000 today, it took me about 20 minutes to do it, put everything back together if the laptop works with an external monitor then the screen is bad, I used http://www.laptopaid.us, an ebay store it cost me $100 for a new screen, free 3 day shipping

:P I'm 14. I don't think I have enough pocket change for that.

abn91c
March 5th, 2009, 05:31 AM
:P I'm 14. I don't think I have enough pocket change for that.
Lawn mowing season is coming up :-)

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Lawn mowing season is coming up :-)

Woop woop! :P
I'm sure this can be fixed easier.

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
bump. I have it put together, mostly at least. Screen, still not working.
This would be a great family knock around laptop.

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Double bump.

issih
March 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Check if theres any output on the external vga/dvi out by plugging it into an external monitor. If the computer works on that screen then you have a working motherboard and a non functional (for some reason) screen, otherwise the chances are that the motherboard is shot.

As for fixing the screen you currently have (assuming the motherboard is functional), the chances are not good. If its just the backlight not working, it might be the inverter board, but chances are it is the actual light, and those are pretty much not replaceable. Realistically you are looking at a new lcd panel, there are no magic fixes I'm afraid.

Oh and bumping more than about once every 24 hours will get you shouted at...just so you are warned.

Hope that helps

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 10:36 PM
:/
Oh. Okay. I'm about to plug it into an external monitor and see if its out. If it is. Ill just buy a monitor, and give it to my brother for his room :)

forrestcupp
March 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
You're not going to just fix it easily without spending some cash.

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I understand that. My mother is going to buy an external monitor, and we're going to put it in my bro's room, after I fix it. The computer itself has a little problems and likes to beep a lot. So I'm sure I'll be posting back here again :D

gymophett
March 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
It's making a beeping noise on start up now. :(

mips
March 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
It's making a beeping noise on start up now. :(

What BIOS does it have and what are the beep codes. If you give us the beep codes we could probably determine the problem.