PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want to Uninstall Ubuntu on USB HDD that doesnt have anyother OS

tjeremiah
March 5th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I want to uninstall ubuntu on a USB HDD that doesnt have another OS on it and also when I go into my regular HDD that has windows, it doesnt recognize the USB HDD so I cant remove it from there. I also dont have a LIVE CD nor a Windows CD. I need help removing Ubuntu inside Ubuntu.:(

Gen2ly
March 5th, 2009, 05:13 AM
tjeremiah,

A good tool to use is fdisk. Be warned though fdisk is a very powerful tool. Make sure you know the kernel device name for the drive, type "fdisk -l" to see available partitions and then "fdisk /dev/sda" (or whatever that hard drive is). Fdisk is pretty easy to use, d - deletes, a - adds. So delete the Ubuntu partition and add a new one. w - writes, q - quits. If you want to add another linux distro you can format the net partition with mkfs.ext3 (or whatever type of partitioning format you want) /dev/sda1. Or if you're don't want to use command lines tools install gparted.

tjeremiah
March 5th, 2009, 05:14 AM
tjeremiah,

A good tool to use is fdisk. Be warned though fdisk is a very powerful tool. Make sure you know the kernel device name for the drive, type "fdisk -l" to see available partitions and then "fdisk /dev/sda" (or whatever that hard drive is). Fdisk is pretty easy to use, d - deletes, a - adds. So delete the Ubuntu partition and add a new one. w - writes, q - quits. If you want to add another linux distro you can format the net partition with mkfs.ext3 (or whatever type of partitioning format you want) /dev/sda1. Or if you're don't want to use command lines tools install gparted.

how do I enter all of this and where?

cariboo
March 5th, 2009, 06:02 AM
If you go to XP disk management tolls you should be able to clear out the partition. It will say the partition is unrecognizable, so you should be able to delete it and repartition.

Jim

tjeremiah
March 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
If you go to XP disk management tolls you should be able to clear out the partition. It will say the partition is unrecognizable, so you should be able to delete it and repartition.

Jim

the HDD only has one OS and that Ubuntu. I dont have windows on it to do that. I tried hooking up the HDD via USB on a computer that has windows but its as if it isnt there.

zvacet
March 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
When you start your comp do you see GRUB and whitch OS is first if you do?If it is Ubuntu then you can use this (http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm#MbrFix.exe) method.For unistalling Ubuntu you will need Gparted live CD. (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)

bubwitmaingay
March 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM
MS Windows cannot identify ext2 or ext3 partition ID (Linux Partition System), thus your HDD will not open in windows. The best thing to do is use GParted, fdisk or cfdisk in Linux then change your partition ID to FAT32 or FAT16. These partition IDs can now be identified by windows. 8)

tjeremiah
March 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
MS Windows cannot identify ext2 or ext3 partition ID (Linux Partition System), thus your HDD will not open in windows. The best thing to do is use GParted, fdisk or cfdisk in Linux then change your partition ID to FAT32 or FAT16. These partition IDs can now be identified by windows. 8)

thanks. Ive give it a go and let you know if things went smoothly.

tjeremiah
March 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM
thanks everyone , got it to work :D