PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite game to play on Linux?

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Currently, mine is OpenArena.
But I haven't tried any others. :P
Haha.
What about you all?

namegame
March 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Lately, I've become content with the occasional flash game on some website. :P

I used to play games quite a bit. I really liked Eternal Lands and some billiards game which I have forgotten the name of. I think it's in the Ubuntu Repos...

Kingsley
March 5th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Nexuiz is the only game I play.

cardinals_fan
March 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I was quite a serious chess (Shredder) player at one time, but I've been playing Go (online) more lately because I love the long-term strategy.

Greed is fun for a quick game.

Ntacman
March 5th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Zsnes and the very, very occasional flash game. Since zsnes is the only game that works besides the included ones, and Im bored with all those. D:. If I could get my 3d gfx card working on my desktop*currently unavailable, an NVIDIA drive nuked it, don't have a spare ubuntu cd*

JackieChan
March 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Tetris.... this game is so addicting \\:D/

HammerOfDoubt
March 5th, 2009, 04:07 AM
On my desktop I play Half Life 2 and it's Orange Box derivatives. On my netbook, I play The Mana World a lot, and SuperTux.

Onoskelis
March 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Linux has games?

kaldor
March 5th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Jedi Academy Multiplayer in Wine. Surprisingly good game for something based on a movie.

gerymate
March 5th, 2009, 04:25 AM
I really like TORCS (had to configure it a bit) for 5 minutes gaming rests.
When I am in an intellectual need, I play gPlanarity.

markusf21
March 5th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Vendetta Online. It's a space MMORPG, its great, lots of fun, very actively being developed. You will actually see the devs in game. Unfortunately its pay to play but it's only $10/month

Cody the Linux Guru
March 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM
if in wine counts then Team Fortress 2 but if not World of Goo

reprobus
March 5th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I like using eboard to play chess on FICS (Free Internet Chess Server). Thats the only game I play, I never really got into gaming. If anyone else is on FICS and would like to play me sometime then add me to your friends list, my handle is Reprobus, same as it is on here.

http://www.bergo.eng.br/eboard/

http://www.freechess.org/

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Linux has games?

Why yes. :P
I'm about to put Eternal Lands on it right now.
Nexuis and OpenArena are real fun.
& its all open source! :D

Faolan84
March 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I play loads of video games on Linux. trust me, there is no shortage of games:
headgewars -- I highly reccomend
various mahjongg games
LBreakout
NES, SNES, and GameBoy emulators
SimCity 4 via WINE
Age Of Empires 2: Conquerors via WINE
Frozen Bubble
The Mana World - username: liekkisusi
KSudoku
KDiamond
Extreme Tux Racer
SuperTux
SuperTux Kart
Liquidwar
Pacman

CJ Master
March 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Wold of goo FTW!!

Oh, and I also love hedgewars. :)

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 05:27 AM

Hmm. A 2D MMPORG? Interesting. I am installing now! :D

lykwydchykyn
March 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Supertuxkart is probably an all-time favorite. The whole family like world of goo, I think I'm gonna have to pony up the 20 bucks for the full version.

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Supertuxkart is probably an all-time favorite. The whole family like world of goo, I think I'm gonna have to pony up the 20 bucks for the full version.

Hmm. I'll try the demo, and maybe then install full version. As long as it never gets boring and its fully worth it.

markusf21
March 5th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Hmm. I'll try the demo, and maybe then install full version. As long as it never gets boring and its fully worth it.
Great game. Does get boring after a while but fully worth $20

mkendall
March 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Einstein & Maelstrom

Rokurosv
March 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hmmm Wesnoth and Tremulous. Great strategy game but kinda hard. And I love the team work of Tremulous, but sometimes aliens wipe the floor with the humans D:

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Great game. Does get boring after a while but fully worth $20

Ill try the demo first :D

gymophett
March 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Hmmm Wesnoth and Tremulous. Great strategy game but kinda hard. And I love the team work of Tremulous, but sometimes aliens wipe the floor with the humans D:

I didn't like Tremulous so much.

cmay
March 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
supertux
sauerbraten
dreamchess
#
# tuxtype. ( i play it to see the penguin running , it looks very amusing)

Scruffynerf
March 5th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Urban Terror

Gridwars2

chucky chuckaluck
March 5th, 2009, 10:42 AM
xkill and solitaire.

Faolan84
March 6th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Isn't xkill that program used to kill misbehaving windows?

Anyways for more fun there is a system process killer that is modeled after the game DOOM: Because there is nothing like slaying the init process will a 30.06.

swoll1980
March 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Right now it's trying to get my ati display to work right on my hp notebook

chucky chuckaluck
March 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Isn't xkill that program used to kill misbehaving windows?

yes. single shooter game, pretty much.

kef_kf
March 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM
The whole family like world of goo, I think I'm gonna have to pony up the 20 bucks for the full version.

$5 on steam for this weekend.

Faolan84
March 7th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Simutrans is pretty cool if you enjoy SimCity type stuff. But SimCity Classic, 2000, and 4 run great under Wine. SC 3000 does not run at all under Wine, unfortunately.

Dr Small
March 7th, 2009, 04:01 AM
BZflag versus bots

hellion0
March 7th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Either I play stuff on VBA, or I'll pop open FreeCiv so I can release my repressed desire to overthrow the world. :P

cmat
March 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Quake wars and super tux. Also freeciv.

dbbolton
March 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Enemy Territory or petris

sad_iq
March 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Urban Terror is all I need and all I play...ohh...and Tetravex (comes preinstalled) :P

Von-Dyke
March 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I play loads of video games on Linux. trust me, there is no shortage of games:
headgewars -- I highly reccomend
various mahjongg games
LBreakout
NES, SNES, and GameBoy emulators
SimCity 4 via WINE
Age Of Empires 2: Conquerors via WINE
Frozen Bubble
KSudoku
KDiamond
Extreme Tux Racer
SuperTux
SuperTux Kart
Liquidwar
Pacman

What are the best EMU's around for Linux?

Faolan84
March 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Best emulators:
SNES - ZSNES
NES - FakeNES, FCEU, or Mednafen (which uses FECU emulation engine)
Gameboy and the like - VisualBoy Advance or Mednafen

I use: ZSNES and Mednafen for everything else personally. Although I did once write a frount-end for FCEU in GTK+ called "Foceus" but not sure if it will compile against the current version. It was pretty cool, but I needs some work and I haven't had time to hack on it lately. And yes, it is written in C.

Naiki Muliaina
March 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Second Life ^^

I only really play online games with native Linux clients. ^^

Twitch6000
March 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Starcraft (via cedega)
Red Alert 2 (via cedega)
Tremulous
Urban Terror ...addicting game....
Super Tux!!
Oh and I am planning on getting Quake 3 for Linux.

feelshift
March 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Extreme Tux Racer, Frozen-Bubble, Wormux and OpenTTD :popcorn:

Faolan84
March 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Cedega? They are still around? Last time I tried them was a couple years back and found them to be no more effect than Wine so I dropped my subscription. Wine can be a bit more work at times but I found that generally you can get performance that is on par or better than Cedega.

Secondly, they didn't refund my money even though I only used it for less than a week, I was even willing to let them prorate the cost of a week but they were unwilling to do so. But it turns out I'm not the only person they've screwed. In fact they ripped off the entire Wine development team when they used the code and made a promise to give back to Wine improved code. It never happened and Cedega claimed they had the legal right to do so because the code was licensed under the MIT license at the time and Cedega's promise amounted to little more that a verbal agreement from a legal standpoint. It's not that they violated in laws per-se, but the company does a lot of things that are considered very unethical and unprofessional in both the business and IT worlds.

Incense
March 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Freecol, Pingus, and warzone 2100. I also like firing up dosbox to play wolf3d, and Duke Nukum (the 2d side scroller).

Twitch6000
March 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cedega? They are still around? Last time I tried them was a couple years back and found them to be no more effect than Wine so I dropped my subscription. Wine can be a bit more work at times but I found that generally you can get performance that is on par or better than Cedega.

Secondly, they didn't refund my money even though I only used it for less than a week, I was even willing to let them prorate the cost of a week but they were unwilling to do so. But it turns out I'm not the only person they've screwed. In fact they ripped off the entire Wine development team when they used the code and made a promise to give back to Wine improved code. It never happened and Cedega claimed they had the legal right to do so because the code was licensed under the MIT license at the time and Cedega's promise amounted to little more that a verbal agreement from a legal standpoint. It's not that they violated in laws per-se, but the company does a lot of things that are considered very unethical and unprofessional in both the business and IT worlds.

Well you know what ... if you can get wine to get Starcraft and Red Alert 2 working 100% no bugs... tell me :].

Cedega has not given me issues since I have used it and any game I run under it works perfectly just like it would running under windows.

gymophett
March 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Well you know what ... if you can get wine to get Starcraft and Red Alert 2 working 100% no bugs... tell me :].

Cedega has not given me issues since I have used it and any game I run under it works perfectly just like it would running under windows.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=149

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=252

They work! :D

gerymate
March 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Best emulators:
SNES - ZSNES
NES - FakeNES, FCEU, or Mednafen (which uses FECU emulation engine)
Gameboy and the like - VisualBoy Advance or Mednafen

And how can one get games for them?

binbash
March 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
at the moment :

world of goo
homm 3

mips
March 9th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Lately, I've become content with the occasional flash game on some website. :P

http://www.miniclip.com/games/en/

I like playing Quick Fire Pool & MotherLoad on there.

I have not really found any Linux games I like. I just play Couter Strike Source in Windows.

Bölvağur
March 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
My favorite is undoubtedly Warsow. I have played it like mad past months until recently when I wanted to play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars again.. but I think Quake Live is going to come out for linux before I can say I will more likely to be playing it than ETQW.

Faolan84
March 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM
And how can one get games for them?

The Pirate Bay -- arrrr!

Mehall
March 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Urban Terror.

it's based off the Quake III engine (like Quake Live is) but Open Source, and has a great community!

treesurf
March 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Urban Terror is good.

bvanaerde
March 10th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Enemy Territory :twisted:

Dan_Dranath999
March 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Zsnes, SDLMame... i'm a fan of classics.

But had Doom 3 installed a while back- love to frag zombies!
(i wish there was someone developing an OpenArena-like game about ZOMBIES)

Now i spend a lot with Urban Terror.. (Played Nexuiz too)

Twitch6000
March 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=149

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=252

They work! :D

Uhmm lies much...

Looking at the starcraft link they are still having the battle.net rendering problem...(fixed in cedega)

They are also have other problems aswell like heavy lag unless you regedit. (again fixed in cedega)

Looking at Redalert 2 -

It seems I can't get an answer if my internet play will work in it or not.

I would also have to regedit so it don't lag...

So sorry I will be using Cedega happily thank you though :).

will1911a1
March 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Wesnoth, hands down.

dhysk
March 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'm playing True Combat Elite right now. I can never get steam games to work very well so i tried TC:E and i like it 10000 times more than counter strike.

SpenceMakesSense
March 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I play alot of mame and alot of zsnes. Along with the occasional game of mines

mips
March 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
i like it 10000 times more than counter strike.

Why?

I play CSS on local servers. I tried Urban Terror before but hated it. I don't think we will have local servers for TCE and international lag sux.

Faolan84
March 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
What I would like to see is an open source game similar to Age Of Empires. A good military RTS that has great replay value. I'm not really into TBS games but I'll try to give Wesnoth a try sometime this week since everyone is raving about it.

dhysk
March 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
mips, As far as game play it's very simulare however it has no crosshairs. I love haveing to use the sights and it ads a bit more realism to the game. Although they didn't mimic the sights very well becuase it always shoots low from point of impact point of aim, however having to use the sights changes the pace and the play of the game completely. I normaly get 144-170 pings and its not to bad. However on weekends at night i play on another server ware i get 40-70 ping wich is definatly better.

I do think they should fix the sights so it aims a little more realistic for a normal combas zero. for instance the m4 2.3 inch low for the first 40 or so feet POA/POI @25 yrds then high out to about 300 meters.

Faolan84
March 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Although they didn't mimic the sights very well becuase it always shoots low from point of impact point of aim.

Maybe they are simulating reality. Bullets don't travel in straight line. They travel in an arc because they are also falling to the ground in addition to moving in the direction fired. Given a large enough field a bullet would eventually land on the ground.

I can attest to this because I' m one of those "gun nuts" who loves redunculously overpowered equipment. I mean, why hunt with a 30.08 when you could have an M-72 Light Anti-Tank Weapon -- after-all, with a grenade launcher you don't even have to aim :P

MikeTheC
March 10th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Chromium BSU, followed by Solitare, followed by one of the Tron clones.

I'm really not much into gaming, honestly.

Skorzen
March 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I don't usually play any games. It's not that I don't like to do it, I just don't have time.

dhysk
March 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Maybe they are simulating reality. Bullets don't travel in straight line. They travel in an arc because they are also falling to the ground in addition to moving in the direction fired. Given a large enough field a bullet would eventually land on the ground.

I can attest to this because I' m one of those "gun nuts" who loves redunculously overpowered equipment. I mean, why hunt with a 30.08 when you could have an M-72 Light Anti-Tank Weapon -- after-all, with a grenade launcher you don't even have to aim :P

Yes, however the way weapon sights are made you are pointing the barrel up slightly so the bullet fallows an arc path. since your line of sight is a strait line the bullet path crosses over the line of sight 2x. Once on its way up and once on its way down. Thats why a 'combat' zero is done at 25 yrds for point of aim point of impact because it will cross back over on the way down at 300 meters, on an M16/M4 anyway.(I use an improved combat zero done at 50 yrds for an approx 208 yard zero. Because of the .223 flat trajectory this gives the POI less then +-2 in from 0 yrd - 300 yrds)

Anyway Back to the games I'm currently trying to get FIA GTR2 to run in wine. Everyone else seams to get it to work but no luck so far. However X-Plane is native and I'm looking into buying that i love flight sims and customizing aircraft.

Swagman
March 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Oolite
Galaga
TuxRacer

WatchingThePain
March 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Linux has games?

Yes, But your not missing much.

patchoro
March 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM
yeah let's play some mahjong...

gerymate
March 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
What I would like to see is an open source game similar to Age Of Empires. A good military RTS that has great replay value.

Probably >Glest (http://glest.org/)< is what you want. There are other RTSs in the repositories... (None of them I play, currently: I like turns :-))

Faolan84
March 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Probably >Glest (http://glest.org/)< is what you want. There are other RTSs in the repositories... (None of them I play, currently: I like turns :-))

I've played Glest, it's awesome. I'd have to say if I saw this in a big box store I'd probably spend about $7-$10. As far as gaming goes, I think there are quite a bit of good games for Linux. The argument that there are "no good games" comes mostly from the fact that these people are upset because their favorite Windows game doesn't run in Wine.

cmat
March 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
The complete lack of mind-numbing violence it a big turn off for people. ;)

I got a PS3 which filled the gaming void. PC is used for serious work now and internet.

ricardofilipemoreira
March 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
GNUJump ... VEEEEERY simple but excelent and addictive. I just love it! :P

Dougie187
March 16th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I'm a fan of burger space... reminds me of the old school nes days with burger time.

World of Goo is good as well, though it's not free. Open Arena is pretty sweet.

Faolan84
March 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
The complete lack of mind-numbing violence it a big turn off for people. ;)

I got a PS3 which filled the gaming void. PC is used for serious work now and internet.

Why can't a game be fun without being grotesquely violent? Puzzle games are always fun. And not not all adventures games really need to contain all the blood, gore, and sex to convey the message of the story or even the storyline. Heck I remember back when graphics weren't all that great and there were some awesome RPGs and even fighter games around that were fun for all age groups.

I mean, do you really need to be able too see some character shove a trident into their opponent and twist out their intestine like spaghetti then leap to their next opponent and literally rip their head off?

cmat
March 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Why can't a game be fun without being grotesquely violent?

I was kind of hinting on that. :)