PDA

View Full Version : aMSN 0.95 Released: MSN users rejoice.

zenwhen
December 27th, 2005, 02:45 AM
This is the project's site:

http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

From their website:

aMSN is a free open source MSN Messenger clone, with features such as:

* Display pictures
* Custom emoticons
* Multi-language support (around 40 languages currently supported)
* Webcam support
* Sign in to more than one account at once
* Full-speed File transfers
* Group support
* Normal, and animated emoticons with sounds
* Chat logs
* Timestamping
* Event alarms
* Conferencing support
* Tabbed chat windows

I have messed around with this some tonight and have to say that even though MSN is pretty useless to me and I hate its interface, it felt very very familiar. This project is getting very close to their goal of a near perfect MSN messenger clone for Linux. The text still looks bad, but I see this getting cleaned up soon.

File transfers actually work well. Buddy images work just as they do in MSN.

People coming from windows who are used to using Microsoft's MSN messenger client are going to have a lot less to complain about now. I have heard that the webcam support is pretty good too.

otake-tux
December 27th, 2005, 08:40 AM
They have to change the name.

I refuse to have anything installed on my PC with MSN in its name. They should change the name and wirte in the descrption that its an MSN clone.

awakatanka
December 27th, 2005, 11:28 AM

I refuse to have anything installed on my PC with MSN in its name. They should change the name and wirte in the descrption that its an MSN clone.
Thats a stupid reason not to use.

Still there is no voice support, they come close but do i realy want those teenage smillies that made me crazy on the windows msn,luckly they don't support winks because then you going to be crazy for sure.

Msn is just for teenagers ,with long useless names where the other side have to search for ages to find out who they talking to, Getting a tornado of winks and nudeges.

Well i stay on kopete and hope they getting voice and webcam working as it should them i'm happy. Europe is using to much msn (usa more yahoo and aol i read ), i want the good old times back where almost everyone used icq.

ember
December 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Well - that is, to me, a really positive message. And I think it's quite good to keep the MSN in the name, because that's what it does ;)

And if I am correct, you can disable all smilies, so it's useful. Fullspeed file transfers are really great, because I was missing that a long time.

And - I'm sure - there are a lot's of teenagers with stupid long names on ICQ, too ;)

beameup
December 27th, 2005, 09:33 PM
There's an Ubuntu specific deb package listed there. I just downloaded and installed and it upgraded my 0.94:

sudo dpkg -i amsn_0.95-2.ubuntu.deb

Lord Illidan
December 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Basically, I love it..
Yeah, I know it is MSN, but all my friends use MSN, so I can't really switch to Jabber..otherwise, might as well be a hermit.

Features... Nearly all of MSN 7's features, with the lack of winks, but I never used them...nudges, inkdrawing, cool smilies, and the like... all good. Also, this is quite stable...been using it 2 days without a crash, not like Kmess and Kopete.

One thing I want to change... fonts.. look aweful.

Orunitia
December 27th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Then don't use it. aMSN is called aMSN because it connects to MSN. If you don't like it, don't use it.

majikstreet
December 28th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Still there is no voice support, they come close but do i realy want those teenage smillies that made me crazy on the windows msn,luckly they don't support winks because then you going to be crazy for sure.

Msn is just for teenagers ,with long useless names where the other side have to search for ages to find out who they talking to, Getting a tornado of winks and nudeges.

Well i stay on kopete and hope they getting voice and webcam working as it should them i'm happy. Europe is using to much msn (usa more yahoo and aol i read ), i want the good old times back where almost everyone used icq.
big woop. nothing is "for teenagers."

your comment highly offends me as even though I am not yet considered a teenager, I am allowed to be offended. I use AIM, Jabber, MSN, Gtalk, and Yahoo. So, are all those for teenagers/pre-teens/whoever?

edit: and in fact, the majority of the people at my school who use IM use AIM.

Orixyu
June 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I agree, aMSN has much better functions than Kmess...
Although I have found Kmess to have better scripting in general, and aMSN lacks taste. I want the functions that MSN.7.0 deliver, aswell as the good looks.
aMSN's file transfer and failed me a few times, where it's played up, also the scripting for the taskbar has also done a wierdo. Kmess is much easier to use, and just interacts better.

Seems like these 2 programs need to look at eachother and develop.

charades26
June 28th, 2006, 05:19 PM
This is the project's site:

http://amsn.sourceforge.net/

From their website:

I have messed around with this some tonight and have to say that even though MSN is pretty useless to me and I hate its interface, it felt very very familiar. This project is getting very close to their goal of a near perfect MSN messenger clone for Linux. The text still looks bad, but I see this getting cleaned up soon.

File transfers actually work well. Buddy images work just as they do in MSN.

People coming from windows who are used to using Microsoft's MSN messenger client are going to have a lot less to complain about now. I have heard that the webcam support is pretty good too.
i will test it on my "troll" platform

see you soon
From their website:Bonjour vous souhaitez entrer en video chat avec des personnes adulte vous maitrisez votre ordinateur alors rejoinez-nous avec:
http://www.ivisit.com
nous sommes en frofil adulte a bientot de vous appercevoir par dialowebcam

ELD
June 28th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Well they said they are about to have a 0.96 release.

I hate amsn personally, i think it is terribly ugly!
The tickboxes are red while the ticks are black, makes it hard to see and annoying.

It is just ugly to use!
Hopefully 0.96 will be a big improvement.

Although they said about 0.96 in may...it is now comming up to july...

Rackerz
June 28th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I certainly hope this version has better Webcam support, I can't send or recieve webcam in Linux currently. So I'm hoping for the best!

ELD
June 28th, 2006, 06:49 PM
try mercury messenger www.mercury.to (i could get anyones webcam)

Although it crashed for me a lot...bloody java...

Rackerz
June 29th, 2006, 12:15 AM
try mercury messenger www.mercury.to (i could get anyones webcam)

Although it crashed for me a lot...bloody java...

Thanks! It looks promising I'll try it.