PDA

View Full Version : Who is all a Developer?

Dekkon
March 5th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Who all develops software, be it on Linux, Desktop, or Web?

List Programming Languages known and your favorite, and why if you want.

I've started programming in Python, with PyQt4, and while the SLOTS and SIGNALS are really confusing to me, I think I'll soon be on my way to programming some sweet open-source programs. :)

theApokalypsis
March 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I am definitly a web developer.

I am getting my hands dirty with such things as...

- AJAX/JS(looking forward to JS 2.0)/CSS3/HTML5
- PHP5/Ruby on Rails/ASP.NET

I almost got into python. they changed the curriculum at my university from C to Python after my class. too many people failed... lol.

:D

gnomeuser
March 5th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm doing package maintance as well as some work in C#. I don't do as much "proper" codingas I would really like, packaging work, supporting users and interacting with upstream takes up most of my time.

I was trained in C++ and i386 Intel ASM, I will never write a line in either if I can avoid it. I find it unenjoyable, C# on the other hand strikes me as being very elegant.

I also am fairly interested in Silverlight and Javascript, the latter mostly because it looks to become a cornerstone GNOME 3.0.

klange
March 5th, 2009, 12:48 AM
As oddly as the title of this thread may be phrased, and as I try to duplicate its enigmatic style, I very much am a developer.

Been doing web development for years (PHP, primarily, but I've hacked around with my fair share of Perl scripts and web-oriented Python)

Do a bit of small-scale game design in Python - been doing that for a while now.

Started out back in the bad old days of VB6. Eventually moved on, still enjoy Mono.

Trying to re-learn C++ for a rather massive project that's been limping along for two and a half years...

And I do some small plugin work for Compiz.

Plus, of course, a gratuitous bunch of Bash scripts for every day use.

happysmileman
March 5th, 2009, 01:00 AM
C++ with Qt4 generally, I've used PHP and Python before but don't use them often.

As for OP saying SIGNALs and SLOTs are confusing, after a while you'll be lost without them, especially when it comes to GUI or network programming (But if you're using Qt you're probably already doing one of these, though I guess not necessarily)

I've never really made anything large or very useful, but I'd be able to make some changes to existing software and probably make some medium sized project if I really had the time or motivation.

Dragonbite
March 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Currently : ASP.NET development (written in VB.NET) with a MS SQL Server back-end and utilizing Crystal Reports and Adobe Acrobat technologies for documents are reporting.

How I got here : Outside of various high school and college courses, I was working in Accounting when we started using Excel VBA Macros to streamline a daily report.

From there I started teaching myself Access and VBA and made sure it was up and running whenever somebody from the IT department was nearby. That paid off in spades when my name came up for replacing the Data Warehouse person. I was offered the job the day before my (first) daughter was born, what a week!

While running the Data Warehouse (MS SQL Server) and working with Cognos for reports I taught myself ASP (Classic) for pushing reports and information out to our sales people.

That company let me go, and led me to the company I am with now which is using ASP.NET a consulting company developed and I get to help maintain. At least this company is willing to send me out for training and I have to laugh at all of the "do not do this" rules I learned in the classroom,.. my last company was making that policy! :)

And here I am.

I've been tempted to move from VB.NET to C# (to Mono) but it just hasn't worked yet. I've also toyed with teaching myself Python, Java and PHP.

PHP is most likely going to win because I have a friend who runs an IT company and is trying to set up a team for developing Drupal sites for customers.

At the same time, I'm trying to get him to integrate Linux into his and possibly his customer's systems.

Rokurosv
March 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Well I'm more web oriented but I code the occational script. The languages I know are:

PHP
Javascript
Ruby
C++

Out of those PHP and Ruby take the cake. PHP cause it's the best server side language for me. And Ruby cause it's very easy to maintain the code and fun to write it.

GeneralZod
March 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I do some work on Konqueror4 and Dolphin when I find the time (which I haven't been able to do for a while, now :(), sorting out some of the feature regressions from KDE3 and doing general bug-fixing. I ran the KDE4Daily project for a while, but it's discontinued now.

C++ is my favourite "native" language, though I a really like ruby for scripting/ quick apps. I should probably learn Python at some point :)

konqueror7
March 5th, 2009, 04:20 PM
i developed for both desktop (also some mobile programming) and web applications so far...wanted to try something on linux and on and enterprise scale of project...currently i'm studying JSP and Struts. oh, and here are my languages i used so far (i've not included javascripts and so on...):
1) Java - Primary development language, been using it since my OO subjects, but stopped during my PHP devs, and now back again
2) PHP - Primary for web, did try ASP.Net, but i felt that it doesn't provide you control over the applications
3) C# - There's no question, when it comes to windows development, you got to go for C# in my opinion...

wmcbrine
March 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Dekkon, you know about this (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39), right?

Kazade
March 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm a developer!

In my spare time I develop games and game related tools, I work with C++ and C mostly in my hobby programming. At work I'm a web/desktop application developer using Python, Java, C# and Delphi with MySQL, Postgres and MS-SQL databases.

My favourite programming language is C++, I love the power and flexibility of the language.

In my spare time I've written a book on OpenGL ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-OpenGL-2e-Luke-Benstead/dp/159863528X ), a 3D math library in C ( http://www.kazade.co.uk/kazmath/ ), I co-maintain http://nehe.gamedev.net/ and I'm currently working on a small game engine with some friends ( http://www.launchpad.net/lucadestudios/ ).

So you could say I like programming ;)

theApokalypsis
March 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Currently : ASP.NET development (written in VB.NET) with a MS SQL Server back-end and utilizing Crystal Reports and Adobe Acrobat technologies for documents are reporting.

How I got here : Outside of various high school and college courses, I was working in Accounting when we started using Excel VBA Macros to streamline a daily report.

From there I started teaching myself Access and VBA and made sure it was up and running whenever somebody from the IT department was nearby. That paid off in spades when my name came up for replacing the Data Warehouse person. I was offered the job the day before my (first) daughter was born, what a week!

While running the Data Warehouse (MS SQL Server) and working with Cognos for reports I taught myself ASP (Classic) for pushing reports and information out to our sales people.

That company let me go, and led me to the company I am with now which is using ASP.NET a consulting company developed and I get to help maintain. At least this company is willing to send me out for training and I have to laugh at all of the "do not do this" rules I learned in the classroom,.. my last company was making that policy! :)

And here I am.

I've been tempted to move from VB.NET to C# (to Mono) but it just hasn't worked yet. I've also toyed with teaching myself Python, Java and PHP.

PHP is most likely going to win because I have a friend who runs an IT company and is trying to set up a team for developing Drupal sites for customers.

At the same time, I'm trying to get him to integrate Linux into his and possibly his customer's systems.

I suggest C# for your .NET needs. I did an application in VB.NET (which i ported over to php5 from scratch and it had more control). I'm just starting to get into C# for my latest app(.NET 3.5) that I am putting together with a friend. Could it be my roots in learning C? who knows really lol.

I'm a developer!

In my spare time I develop games and game related tools, I work with C++ and C mostly in my hobby programming. At work I'm a web/desktop application developer using Python, Java, C# and Delphi with MySQL, Postgres and MS-SQL databases.

My favourite programming language is C++, I love the power and flexibility of the language.

In my spare time I've written a book on OpenGL ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-OpenGL-2e-Luke-Benstead/dp/159863528X ), a 3D math library in C ( http://www.kazade.co.uk/kazmath/ ), I co-maintain http://nehe.gamedev.net/ and I'm currently working on a small game engine with some friends ( http://www.launchpad.net/lucadestudios/ ).

So you could say I like programming ;)

Hell ya you can say. Very interesting stuff.

One thing I love about programming is anyone else who is a programmer always has some notion at least of the woes involved in problem solving. But thats the best part about it no! As well props to every programmer that created something and put it out into the world.:)

\m/

Majorix
March 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Dekkon, you know about this (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39), right?

Haha yeah, it's not too meaningful to discuss it here :)

Arkenzor
March 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Half a developer, or something like that? I contribute patches to some projects (mostly XMonad), but most of my coding is for my CS studies.

My main language is Haskell, and I really don't want to use anything else unless I absolutely have to - which unfortunately happens pretty often because my Uni is sort of Java-centric.

gnomeuser
March 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Half a developer, or something like that? I contribute patches to some projects (mostly XMonad), but most of my coding is for my CS studies.

My main language is Haskell, and I really don't want to use anything else unless I absolutely have to - which unfortunately happens pretty often because my Uni is sort of Java-centric.

As you seem to be of the functional programming school, I wonder if you have had time to look at F#. I wondered about your impression of it, it is heavily Haskell inspired from what I understand.

mr.propre
March 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Webdevelopment (php, xhtml, css, javascript, apache and Mysql)
But for the moment I'm learning VB.net at school.

Arkenzor
March 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
As you seem to be of the functional programming school, I wonder if you have had time to look at F#. I wondered about your impression of it, it is heavily Haskell inspired from what I understand.

I've never dabbled in .NET programming myself, and so have no impression to speak of.

If you're interested in general trivia though, what I've gleaned of 5 minutes of web browsing is that F# seems to belong to the ML family more than the Miranda/Haskell one. Those languages are very closely related, especially at the syntax and type-system levels, and of course in their functional orientation, but there are three main differences between ML-like languages and Haskell:

Haskell is one of the only languages in current use which uses lazy evaluation, which basically means that expressions are only evaluated when, and as far as, needed to obtain the program's output.

Haskell is pure, i.e. it entirely disallows side-effects in functional code.

Monads, a fundamental aspect of Haskell programming, are seldom used in other functional languages. F# seems to have so-called "Computation expressions" that would be analogous to Monads, but I honestly don't know anything else about that.

Hasty conclusion being: I'm not using F#, and probably not going to use it because I really didn't like OCaml and am very attached to purity, but it nevertheless seems like a decent modern functional language.

jespdj
March 6th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm a professional Java developer. Obviously I know Java, and also JavaScript, C, C++, Ruby, a bit of Python and lots of other stuff.

HTML, CSS, XML are not programming languages, but ofcourse I know them too.