PDA

View Full Version : Joke -

M!SF!TS
March 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed a desire to become a "great" writer.

When asked to define "great" he said "I want to write stuff that the whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a truly emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, wail, howl in pain, desperation, and anger!"

He now works for Microsoft writing error messages.

blazemore
March 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM
People can't generally help with this sort of enquiry.

M!SF!TS
March 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM
its just a joke dude... i though it would bring a smile to some faces while they run around with all this techo babble...

i take it you dont like a good joke every now and then...

JackieChan
March 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I just showed this joke to some fellow classmates of mine. Ha, thanks for the brief chuckle.

diwas
March 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Nice one!

konqueror7
March 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
i didn't know that a job like that existed in microsoft?!?!:lolflag:

Vince4Amy
March 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Joke or not.

Microsoft bashing has got to stop

bsharp
March 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Ha! That's one I haven't heard before. I like it.

s.fox
March 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Joke or not.

It makes us look bad. I agree we should stop bashing

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Joke or not.

Calm down. It was a harmless joke.

He didn't say anything along the lines of "******* sux!" and he even spelled Microsoft correctly.

cb951303
March 5th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Calm down. It was a harmless joke.

He didn't say anything along the lines of "******* sux!" and he even spelled Microsoft correctly.

+1. It's hardly bashing. We can't even criticize windows now?

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
+1. It's hardly bashing. We can't even criticize windows now?

There is nothing wrong with criticizing any operating system, whether it be Linux, Windows, OS X, Solaris, or BSD. The problem comes when people criticize with falsehoods and misconceptions, or when people bash solely because they think it's the "in" thing to do.

bsharp
March 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
The problem comes when people criticize with falsehoods and misconceptions, or when people bash solely because they think it's the "in" thing to do.

As for falsehoods and misconceptions, Windows has error messages. Someone has to write them, so I don't see there the bashing comes into play.

This is a Linux forum, so jokes about other operating systems will always be present. I'm sure there are Linux jokes on Windows and Mac forums as well.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
As for falsehoods and misconceptions, Windows has error messages. Someone has to write them, so I don't see there the bashing comes into play.

This is a Linux forum, so jokes about other operating systems will always be present. I'm sure there are Linux jokes on Windows and Mac forums as well.

I never said that the joke gave falsehoods or misconceptions. I'm actually defending the joke.

I'm just saying that there is a difference between criticizing and bashing, and this joke is not an example of the latter. Or really either, for that matter.

bsharp
March 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Ah, I missed your other post. ](*,)

Umm, I mean I was just reinforcing what you said ;)

jenkinbr
March 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed a desire to become a "great" writer.

When asked to define "great" he said "I want to write stuff that the whole world will read, stuff that people will react to on a truly emotional level, stuff that will make them scream, cry, wail, howl in pain, desperation, and anger!"

He now works for Microsoft writing error messages.
:lolflag:

MS error messages rarely tell you the problem, short of a bunch of hex code nobody wants to decipher. MS has the option to send said report to them, but I think it just gets snuffed.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
:lolflag:

MS error messages rarely tell you the problem, short of a bunch of hex code nobody wants to decipher. MS has the option to send said report to them, but I think it just gets snuffed.

Reminds me of that line from The Matrix Runs on Windows:

Sooner or later, we all encounter an error, Neo. You will have to make a choice: to send an error report or not to send one. But, is there a difference?

Vince4Amy
March 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Well I wonder what would happen if that was a joke on Ubuntu. It would be about 5 pages of flaming at the OP by now.

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Well I wonder what would happen if that was a joke on Ubuntu. It would be about 5 pages of flaming at the OP by now.

That's more of an "OS Pride" thing than a double standard.

Think about it. This is an Ubuntu forum. A vast majority of the users use Ubuntu or some other Linux distro. Because the forum's population is predominantly made up of Ubuntu users, the population of overly-"OS Proud" Ubuntu users is proportionately larger. Therefore, flaming against a joke directed at a fault of Ubuntu is more likely than flaming against a joke directed at a fault of Windows.

Note, though, that I am not defending such behavior. Personally, I find such behavior to be shameful. If you can't laugh at yourself, than you shouldn't be able to laugh at others.

WatchingThePain
March 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
its just a joke dude... i though it would bring a smile to some faces while they run around with all this techo babble...

I take it you don't like a good joke every now and then...

Lol...I think it's nice to bring jokes in here sometimes it's all too stuffy. Even at work people tell jokes.
I'm just wondering if anyones got some really funny jokes.
Not rude and not necessarily about computers.

I like the silly one's....

'What do Cows wear?..Udderwear'

jenkinbr
March 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
note, though, that i am not defending such behavior. Personally, i find such behavior to be shameful. If you can't laugh at yourself, than you shouldn't be able to laugh at others.

+1

Giant Speck
March 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
+1

I don't know what's wrong with the forum, but it seems to happen often that when someone quotes one of my posts, it makes all of my post, including my username, in lowercase letters.

jenkinbr
March 5th, 2009, 06:32 PM
It has something to do with capital letters and, in this case, the lack of any letters at all. But this is the first time I've seen the lack of letters issue.... :confused:

M!SF!TS
March 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Im not trying to flame here but what i am about to say may light someone's fire...

i posted a joke... it happened to be a os joke... one i got from google's joke of the day...

i expected nothing more than like 2, 3 maybe 4 people to sat something like haa good one... nice....maybe give me the classic, LOL. nothing more, but instead i got a bunch of (for lack of better words here...) weiners talking about how politically correct or not they think a joke is...

advise... turn off your computer, leave it off for about 1 week. and do something out of the ordinary, like go skydiving, take a road trip with no plan in advance, (im sure this applies to at least 1 of you) get laid. go do something you normally would not do. then come back read the joke a week from now, and i can only assure you. you wont even laugh at it, matter of fact you will most likely be so disappointed and mad you will come banging of my door demanding the 45 seconds of your life it took to read it back.

not trying to be rude or flame but i didn't know a simple joke i got from Google's joke of the day would strike a half *** debate...

please don't reply to this reply because i don't care and wont read it... because i am so disappointed with the reaction from some of you that i wont bother looking at this post again, so save yourself the time of writing a reply

Vince4Amy
March 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM
not trying to be rude or flame but i didn't know a simple joke i got from Google's joke of the day would strike a half *** debate...

Welcome to the Internet.

diwas
March 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Welcome to the Internet.
Well sorry OP but this one was CLASSIC LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHHA..
(no offense though)

Mr. Picklesworth
March 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Did he write this gem?

"The backup has been cancelled because of the following critical error:
Backup cannot be run while on battery power (0x2201a721)..."

Man, I should have taken a screenshot of that one. Can't be bothered to reproduce it.