PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation, how long it would take?

Geneva
March 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Hi everybody,
I am installing Ubuntu on Averatec notebook.
For about 40 min there is a nice brown picture and the cursor is not moving, nothing happend, the light of hard disk working is on. Is it normal? How long would take the installation of OS?
Can I let it running until the morning or something is wrong?
First time trying this OS.
Please help, want to go sleep already...

darco
March 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
How far along did you get in the install? Just the brown screen? Normally it takes somewhere about 20 mins to install. Did you run the livecd just to make sure your systems runs ok with it?

darco

mistypotato
March 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Well,

the hard disk light "usually" indicates it's working.

Not familiar with that brand. What's the processing speed and how much RAM memory do you have. I'll just assume you have a Toshiba HD (anything older than 3 yrs runs kinda slow).

But, if the light is still blinking or on steady, it may still be working on installing.

avtolle
March 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Speed of installation is dependent upon variables such as amount of RAM, speed of processor; I know to allocate an hour or so when installing on my G4 Cubes, which have a 450mhz processor; on the laptop, dual processors (don't recall the "speed) takes a lot less time.

Geneva
March 4th, 2009, 11:30 PM
How far along did you get in the install? Just the brown screen? Normally it takes somewhere about 20 mins to install. Did you run the livecd just to make sure your systems runs ok with it?

darco

Dear darco, thanks for reply.
It is over 1 hour this installation is working , but all I have is the same brown screen. What is livecd? I did dawnload iso file, burn CD and installing from it.

Geneva
March 4th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Well,

the hard disk light "usually" indicates it's working.

Not familiar with that brand. What's the processing speed and how much RAM memory do you have. I'll just assume you have a Toshiba HD (anything older than 3 yrs runs kinda slow).

But, if the light is still blinking or on steady, it may still be working on installing.

Yes, the light is on and the noise it is there , it seems like working hard, RAM is not big, 512 , processing speed is 1,3 mHr, the age of notebook is unknown ,
could not get online original restore CD , so did bought Driver detective for the drivers. So it os gone now, I guess...

darco
March 4th, 2009, 11:57 PM
The Live-CD which you would have after you d/l and burned the .iso, allows you to "try" Ubuntu before installing to your hard drive. See this link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

darco

WatchingThePain
March 5th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I've put it on sometimes in just over half an hour.

Therion
March 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, the light is on and the noise it is there , it seems like working hard, RAM is not big, 512 , processing speed is 1,3 mHr, the age of notebook is unknown ,
could not get online original restore CD , so did bought Driver detective for the drivers. So it os gone now, I guess...
The hard drive activity light is solid but there's no vibration or sounds coming from it, indicating read/write activity, I bet.

If so, quit the install and reboot from the CD.

Select to install from "Safe Graphics Mode".

I'm betting your start-up is stalling.