View Full Version : [ubuntu] sharing my internet connection help

March 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
alright here's my setup. I have a wireless router that I connect to the internet through via my atheros-based network card. I have an ethernet connection (eth0) that is connected to another router. My xbox360 (and eventually my original xbox and a pc) are also connected to my second router. the second router has its dhcp server turned off and I need to use my eth0 to forward the internet from my ath0 to the switch.

From what I understand, I need to have ath0 as dynamic and assign a static IP to my eth0. I did this and enabled Internet Connection Sharing via Firestarter. It didn't give me any errors, but my xbox360 cannot connect to the internet.

I have my first router as w/ dhcp server on. My second router is set to w/ dhcp off. My eth0 is w/ no default gateway supplied.

The xbox recognizes my pc and the local network, but I get the error "cannot resolve DNS". Do I use my DNS for the first router or for ath0? or should I stop using firestarter and implement this differently? Pinging to the 360 from router 1 always seems to fail too.

I'm fairly new to ubuntu so please try to explain it in non-complex terms so that I can understand :D

March 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM
OK I got this working now. For anyone else w/ the same problem go to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=91370

I would recommend firestarter but it wouldn't work for me. The command-line steps took about 10mins and they weren't nice and pretty, but they worked (that IS what matters after all :P)