PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange blue bars.

tsedrey
March 4th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hi,

I am wondering why I have these strange blue bars on my gnome-panel, and what I can do to get rid of them? Please let me know if you have any ideas.
Thanks,
David

http://s5.tinypic.com/2a9y0cj.jpg

5BallJuggler
March 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
It looks like it the settings on your lower panel.

left click on the blue bar
select properties
select background
change the colour to what you want.

hope this helps.

C--
March 4th, 2009, 09:15 PM
From the pic you posted it looks like the bar is part of your window selector. On the gnome panel, the thing that displays all of your open windows in the panel is a panel applet. If you right click on the blue bar it you should have some options appear like "move" and "remove from panel." For example, if you click "move" you can move the window selector applet around on your panel, or to different panels if you have more than one. If you right click on an empty part of the panel and select "Add to panel" and scroll to the bottom of the list you can add multiple copies of the same applet to the panel if you accidentally delete it.

I think the only reason it looks blue is because you have a funky theme. On the default theme it should look grey.

kanikilu
March 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
That's part of the theme you are using. Those are in other themes as well, just usually a bit more subtle. I don't know the official term, but I've always referred to them as "handles". It's the area you can use to move the applet around (assuming it's not locked to the panel).

As far as getting rid of them, it looks like you're not the first to wonder:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=672367

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to hide them (at least not that I've found). Although, I don't use transparent panels, so haven't really been motivated to dig deeper for a solution (if it exists).

cubeist
March 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
It is from the "Notification Area" plugin... you can right click on it and remove one or both... it is blue because of your theme... for most people they are light grey...almost invisible