PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] X server won't run

metalhead0010
March 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
When I tried to boot my laptop I was given an error message that said "Ubuntu running low graphics mode" and I canceled, logged in, and used startx and I got another error message that said
"Saw Signal 11. Server aborting.
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111):
xinit: No such process (errno 3):
xauth: error in locking file ~/.Xauthority"
Thanks in advance, if I get any help that is, which I won't.

metalhead0010
March 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I know why the x server won't run (sorry I didn't mention it) it's because it thinks no display is set. How do I set it, and I already tried xorg.conf.

metalhead0010
March 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I want you all to know that you were all of no help at all, and you never will be. Already I have about 35 views and no one replied, that's either because A: you don't know how to fix it; or B: you don't want to help. I should probably just try to fix it myself; even if I make the situation worse it's better then sitting around for an answer all day.

shankru85
March 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Mind telling a few details about the configs of your system? Btw, i may not be of any help to you since i am also a kinda noob. Probably that would be a starter for the others to start helping you.

Anyway instead of directly changing xorg.conf file, could you try using xorgconfig or other slightly graphical xorg configuration tools to set xorg.conf?

metalhead0010
March 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for answering but I did configure it automatically. I'll try to post the output of the lshw command or whatever the command is.

metalhead0010
March 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I found out why X won't start. I'm using a radeon V200 (I think) and I installed fglrx driver for ati which conflicted with the preindtalled drivers. I'm going to delete fglrx and see what happens.