PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] screen size too big

lozzy
March 4th, 2009, 08:26 PM
hi.. im totally new to ubuntu.... and my screen resolution is way too big.... cant get anything other than i think its 960x600 (16.10)???
i am no expert and dont know what to do as i need to get the screen size smaller so can anyone help me in the simplest way possible??? please ??

thanks

NoReflex
March 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hello!

What video card do you have (ATI, nVIDIA, Intel)?
I have a nVIDIA 8600 mobile on my notebook and I use nvidia-settings to change resolution, multiple monitors etc.
You should install the proprietary driver for your video card. Just go to System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers and see what drivers are available.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

lozzy
March 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Hello!

What video card do you have (ATI, nVIDIA, Intel)?
I have a nVIDIA 8600 mobile on my notebook and I use nvidia-settings to change resolution, multiple monitors etc.
You should install the proprietary driver for your video card. Just go to System -> Administration -> Hardware drivers and see what drivers are available.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

there are none there ??:(

NoReflex
March 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Ok.

Let's start over.
First we have to identify your video card. To do this open up a terminal and write
lshw -C video
then post the result here.
You could also post some other details of your system that could help:
- CPU
- RAM
- Which Ubuntu (or other Linux) version you have
- Motherboard model
The commands to find these out are lshw -C x (where x is the category you want informations on - cpu, memory etc.) and lspci.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

lozzy
March 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ok.

Let's start over.
First we have to identify your video card. To do this open up a terminal and write
lshw -C video
then post the result here.
You could also post some other details of your system that could help:
- CPU
- RAM
- Which Ubuntu (or other Linux) version you have
- Motherboard model
The commands to find these out are lshw -C x (where x is the category you want informations on - cpu, memory etc.) and lspci.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

i got this when i put in the first instruction

WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: vga_palette cap_list
configuration: latency=0

NoReflex
March 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I don't have any experience with those card models on Linux. I googled a bit and it seems that there is no 3D acceleration available on those cards.
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg16796.html
Maybe someone else can give you a hand with it.

Best wishes,
NoReflex

hictio
March 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Independently of the 3D drivers, lozzy, do you know that your monitor can perform to a higher resolution than the one you are having right now?

Is this a laptop, or a desktop machine?

There is another thing you can try, to get the maximum resoution, and that is editing your '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' file to use the higher resolutions, but for that you'll need to provide the info or specs of your monitor.

lozzy
March 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Independently of the 3D drivers, lozzy, do you know that your monitor can perform to a higher resolution than the one you are having right now?

There is another thing you can try, to get the maximum resoution, and that is editing your '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' file to use the higher resolutions, but for that you'll need to provide the info or specs of your monitor.

hi.. please tell me how to find corect info?? as im clueless?? thanks

ps this resolution size is drivin me mad .....:o

hictio
March 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
hi.. please tell me how to find corect info?? as im clueless?? thanks

ps this resolution size is drivin me mad .....:o

What it is the machine you are using Ubuntu on? A laptop, or a desktop?
You'll need, first of all, getting the technical specs of the monitor you are using, specifically, the vertical and horizon refresh rate.

Identify your monitor, maker & model, and search for those two values on Google, and then post back.

lozzy
March 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM

hi..

monitor is videoseven h17ps?? 17" TFT LCD 1280x1024
SXGA Pixel Pitch 0.264 mm Display Colours 16.7 Million Brightness 370 cd/m2 Contrast Ratio 350:1 Viewing Angle 140 (h) 130 (v) Response Time 8 m/sec Horizontal Scan Rate 31 - 81Khz Vertical Scan Rate 56 - 75Hz Input Connector Mini 15pin D-sub
Safety Certificates CE, UL, FCC, VCCI
Dimensions (WxDxH) 381 x 199 x 426 mm Vesa Wall Mounts 75mm

hictio
March 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Please, post your /etc/X11/xorrg.conf file, so I can take a look at it, and add the values for your monitor.
To post it, do this to copy it, type this onto a Terminal:

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ~/Desktop/xorg.txt ENTER

This will copy the file as 'xorg.txt' on your Desktop, open it with a double click, select all, copy, and then paste that onto another post of this thread.