PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Workspace Switcher Help

Beguiler
March 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hooray, first post.

This is probably a stupid question. I'm new to Ubuntu though. And it's probably answered somewhere. But damn it all, I can't find it.

My laptop has Ubuntu 8.10. I love it.
But, the laptop had some problems with the fglrx that I installed. Finally fixed that issue (seems I didn't have an ATI card new enough), but when I finally booted up, everything worked fine.

Except the workspace switcher. At first, clicking on it simply did nothing. Right clicking showed that it was still recognized as a workspace switcher, but it didn't work.

Got Compiz, haven't done much in it. According to a few of the threads I have browsed, this problem is simple. And I quote...

Go to your CompizConfig Settings Manager and under General Options->Desktop Size,

Horizontal Virtual Size: 4
Vertical Virtual Size: 1
Number of Desktops: 1
(End quote)

When I hold the alt+ctrl, and start hitting directions, only the up or down does anything. Which is shrink my desktop size on the y-axis, and then show two other desktops, one on either side. Pressing over does nothing. Releasing ctrl or alt brings the desktop back to normal.

Any ideas? I'm lost.

Thanks.

kanikilu
March 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Do you have the Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube plugins enabled? You can set the key bindings in the Rotate Cube plugin to suit your preference.

I believe you can also change the default metacity keybindings in gconf-editor, browse to /apps/metacity/global_keybindings, the values you want are switch_to_workspace_[1-4].

Beguiler
March 5th, 2009, 03:21 AM
You are my savior. I knew it was something pretty simple. Usually is.

Many thanks. Yes, the above response did fix my problems.