PDA

View Full Version : is the cloud really the future?

mamamia88
March 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
i just can't see us relying totally on applications available only with an internet connection. what if the internet was to go out for a week?

cmay
March 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
it will never be my future.

lukjad
March 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
it will never be my future.
+1
It's not for me.

s.fox
March 4th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Me neither. Don't get me wrong, its a nice idea but I certainly I wouldn't go for it because of my own reservations about the security and privacy of such technology.

Rokurosv
March 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I thought that the cloud would be awesome for netbooks with OSes like Jolicloud, but know I see netbooks are going to become more powerful and that idea is starting to fade away.
For normal PCs, never.

ReddogOne
March 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
i just can't see us relying totally on applications available only with an internet connection. what if the internet was to go out for a week?

I can see that off-line support will be integral part of cloud computing for those times when not connected. With data being copied locally.

No internet, use the local version and sync/merge later. Obviously not all functions and features will be supported.

The chances of the internet 'going out' for a week is a bit like saying I'll stick to my bicycle because if I get a car... what would happen if I couldn't get any petrol.

Think the advantages (if they apply to the way you use technology) will outweigh the same chance of the internet breaking.

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
+1
It's not for me.

The only people crazy enough to think it is a good idea are the hack-writers at CNET.

SuperSonic4
March 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
The only people crazy enough to think it is a good idea are the hack-writers at CNET.

And Microsoft with the Live suite.

I would never use it, I'm too paranoid about my data being intercepted or my pc being compromised or perhaps more likely their server being compromised. With most people using windows and their security being largely a bad joke unlikely to get better I'll stay in the past

Skripka
March 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
And Microsoft with the Live suite.

I would never use it, I'm too paranoid about my data being intercepted or my pc being compromised or perhaps more likely their server being compromised. With most people using windows and their security being largely a bad joke unlikely to get better I'll stay in the past

Well, CNET is the PR division of Microsoft 6 days a week.

JohnFH
March 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I can see that off-line support will be integral part of cloud computing for those times when not connected. With data being copied locally.

No internet, use the local version and sync/merge later. Obviously not all functions and features will be supported.

The chances of the internet 'going out' for a week is a bit like saying I'll stick to my bicycle because if I get a car... what would happen if I couldn't get any petrol.

Think the advantages (if they apply to the way you use technology) will outweigh the same chance of the internet breaking.

I think you're missing the point a little though. You're right, the internet as a whole is not going to do down for a week, but my personal access to the internet might. For example if some builder cut through the internet cable supplying my house then I've got no cloud computer until they fix the cable. This is not a far fetched scenario.