PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Sightings

cmat
March 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Have you ever seen other people that you don't know using Ubuntu at a public location? I have at school a couple of times.

beercz
March 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM
No, but others have seen me with my Ubuntu/Linux/Tux sticker covered laptop in internet and public cafes before now. :)

billgoldberg
March 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I've never spotted an Ibex in the wild.

--

I did dicover one of my friends using Gentoo.

But he doesn't anymore since he's out of school (he programs apps for windows mobile professionally).

bvanaerde
March 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is installed on the PCs at the IT class of our local university. They're used for learning Linux.

cmat
March 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
It's common here since there is a college nearby that is heavily open source centric. They host FSOSS every year and they have a freedom toaster.

Sand & Mercury
March 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I saw laptops sporting Ubuntu 8.04 at real a few times, which is a supermarket we have around here.

Seen a lot of netbooks with Linux too, but most of them were either labelled just as 'Linux' or were some other distro that I'd never heard of. Never saw an Ubuntu one.

Sunflower1970
March 4th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Yes. Early last year in the most random place. I was at my Toyota dealership getting my oil changed and some other maintenace done. They have free wi-fi there. Lots of people with their computers. I sat next to this guy who, I didn't realize until he was getting up to leave, was using Ubuntu on his laptop. For some reason, it made my day :)

Kareeser
March 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Because it's some REAL confirmation that you're not alone in a Windows/Mac-world :P

I've seen demo models at Canada Computers sporting ubuntu hardy... that's about it :(

PilotJLR
March 4th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, several times.

I also saw one guy on the train with Fedora on his laptop.

Dragonbite
March 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I haven't seen anybody, but I did notice that familiar circular logo on the Library catalog computer.

I have gotten noticed, though, while wearing my Ubuntu baseball cap a number of times. Most ask "what is Ubuntu" but others ask "do you use Ubuntu?" (kinda a silly question :D ).

I was in a job interview a few years ago and the head of the IT department had a laptop with Fedora on it. They were testing it out as an option to integrate Linux into their environment.

bernied
March 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
There's a cafe (Forrest) in Edinburgh where they have Ubuntu on old machines for internet browsing.

argie
March 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
When I was in college, I was walking to class with a disc of scans in an Ubuntu sleeve (the ones that come with the pressed disc through shipit) and one guy stopped me to ask if I had the latest copy of Ubuntu because he wanted to install it.

The other time I was at a quiz competition and the people organizing were having trouble setting it up with the projector. Turns out they were running Ubuntu. That was a year ago though, so they were probably running 7.10 and things must have improved by now.

cmat
March 4th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I've seen demo models at Canada Computers sporting ubuntu hardy... that's about it :(

Really? Those guys pushed Windows like it was sent down from the heavens. Surprisingly, a few Best Buy employees helped me pick out hardware for linux.

Muffinabus
March 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Actually, I got started using Ubuntu when I found the 6.06 CD lying on the ground of the parking lot of my college a few years ago. (:

Denestria
March 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Not using it, but day before Thanksgiving last year I went to the grocery store to pick up last minute stuff for dinner and someone there was wearing an Ubuntu shirt.

PythonPower
March 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
My uncle uses Ubuntu primarily and did even before I (independently) discovered it.

I haven't actually seen Ubuntu much on random peoples' computers. I have seen other Linux distros; most commonly OpenSUSE and outdated OSs of which I do not know the name of.

Orlsend
March 4th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I Saw a Person at a Internet media conference, He was using ubuntu. I helped him by getting the correct drivers to work for his compiz.

namegame
March 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
My University is very OSS friendly. We have entire computer labs that only run CentOS/Solaris. Some Computer Science Classes require that you have some linux distribution installed, they recommend Ubuntu, but the choice is ours.

That being said, every day of the week I see Linux, other than my own. :)

bvanaerde
March 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I almost forgot... at my previous job, Faculty of Theology, Katholic University of Louvain (Belgium), Ubuntu was used on the servers (fileserver, webserver, ...). All the clients were Windows though :P