PDA

View Full Version : Let see who is actually interested

ajmctaggart
March 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hello Nevada,

I live in SW Vegas, few minutes from the strip. I would like to be involved in a Nevada Team. Being completely honest, I would have a hard time traveling to Reno, etc. for meetings.

But lets be realistic, having a Vegas Team would be a great thing, think how many Ubuntu geeks will be in Vegas for a conference or just visiting at some point throughout the year.

Obviously it may not start big, so lets see how many souls we realistically have, it seems like for 18 months, I've seen maybe 5 regulars in here.

I myself just looked this morning at a Ubuntu Nevada Team, and lo and behold it's here!

I will also post an ad on Craigslist, all the "cool geeks" check there a couple of times per week.

As for me, I'm in my twenties, going to school for a Masters, and trying desperately to make the switch and root myself in opensource, lets see if this helps...

dfrandin
March 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I'm in Las Vegas too, and would have the same trouble with meetings in Reno.. I'm a pc support tech for a local company doing mostly windows support, and a bit of Redhat on our Linux cluster.. My os of preference is Ubuntu 8.04. I tried 8.10 on both desktop and laptop, and though the install went perfectly on the laptop, and everything worked, I really don't like the changes they made on the network manager/wifi/vpn config, so I reinstalled 8.04 when I bought a new larger drive for the laptop. As for the desktop, it "just works"... I'm on the east side, Charleston-Lamb area.. I posted earlier on this thread and I swear I can hear crickets from the quiet in this thread...

Dave

memoeschido
March 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hello people:
I just saw the message at craiglist, I really like ubuntu but I'm a very basic user but sign me in for the team, I'm pretty sure I'll learn one or two tricks.
I'm in henderson

memo

ajmctaggart
March 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys, I was checking the post often but stopped because of the "crickets," Dave mentioned...

I really am pretty busy right now with school, work, etc...So I'm not sure if there is time for a real Jaunty release party, but maybe for some beers in the near future?

Just keep a lookout and see who is posting here...I repost that ad on Craigslist once every other week...

bluesman2333
March 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm interested, but I'm interested in Kubuntu 8.04 if that fits in the groups plans.

ajmctaggart
April 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Anything fits!

Just trying to see if we could get close to 20 people in the Valley at a bar or something...

bluesman2333
April 10th, 2009, 12:09 AM
BAR??? OK, if you insist. Now I'm really interested!

ajmctaggart
April 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hey guys,

Nerds need alcohol too!

officeninja
May 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm over by eastern and flamingo and i am definitely down for a team

sheep1364
May 10th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Count me in, I'm in Henderson.

ajmctaggart
May 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
What are people's schedules...would a meeting be able to happen on a Saturday or something?

Any ideas on places to meet, I know of a coffee shop off Eastern and 215 that has wifi, etc...but I'm sure there are many places...

bluesman2333
May 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
There is a fantastic cafe called The Grille or The Griddle, can't ever remember which. It's by the 215 and Eastern, in the Big 5 shopping center. I do Cars and Coffee there every Saturday so since I'm in the area, that would be fine for me.

ajmctaggart
June 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Bluesman,

I went there this weekend, it was great!

When do you plan on being there again?

loginix
July 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
hey i was interested

linuxbear
August 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hi,

You might want to consult with "Toga" he's one of the admins @ the Las Vegas Linux user group. (lvlug.org)
he might have some other suggestions about where a meeting could be setup.

...Glen

dfrandin
September 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Saturdays are good for me.. Would be nice to have a place that has free wifi.. Like the CoffeeBean&TeaLeaf on Maryland Pkwy (across from UNLV), kind of central to the valley.. (No I don't work there/own it, just hang out there a bit)..

ajmctaggart
October 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I just realized the LVLug is around too!

Maybe we should combine events until we are a substantial user base ourselves?

I will attempt to get in touch with that team's leader and see if we can go from there!

Thanks!

ajmctaggart
October 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Okay soo....

10/17 is the next LV Lug meeting! It is at ITT Technical Institute.

Details found at http://lvlug.org/

Please attempt to attend if possible, it would be nice to mix user bases and learn from the LUG that has already done so much to connect Linux users in the Valley.

I believe that if the Ubuntu users in LV grew to be disruptive to the LUG, or if we wanted to pool talent for a bug jam, etc. going forward, then we could form a Loco.

But, for the time being, with only 9 people, lets join their LUG this time around and see how things go!

I look forward to seeing some of you there!
-ajm

running_rabbit07
November 18th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I'm in Las Vegas too, and would have the same trouble with meetings in Reno.. I'm a pc support tech for a local company doing mostly windows support, and a bit of Redhat on our Linux cluster.. My os of preference is Ubuntu 8.04. I tried 8.10 on both desktop and laptop, and though the install went perfectly on the laptop, and everything worked, I really don't like the changes they made on the network manager/wifi/vpn config, so I reinstalled 8.04 when I bought a new larger drive for the laptop. As for the desktop, it "just works"... I'm on the east side, Charleston-Lamb area.. I posted earlier on this thread and I swear I can hear crickets from the quiet in this thread...

Dave

I could probably throw a rock and hit your house from mine, literally.

kwyto
December 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM
hi guys, i live in north las vegas, i will try to go to the next meeting. i'm kind of new to linux. being messing around with ubuntu, opensuse, debian, kubuntu. i decided on sticking with ubuntu with the gnome desktop. well, i will say more in the meeting.