PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI HDMI Problem

chevmaro
March 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I am having a problem with my HDMI LCD and my ATI card. I run dual monitors. My second monitor uses a DVI Input and it works fine. My main monitor uses HDMI. If I boot into ubuntu with both monitors ON everything works fine. But if my main monitor goes to sleep or powers off it will freeze the OS when I power it back on. I have tested this several times and I get the same result. As soon as I turn the monitor on and it does Retrieving Data.... It freezes my system and I have to reboot. So If I forget to turn on my main monitor after booting I know I have to reboot to get it to work. Very annoying. Any suggestions?

I am using ubuntu 8.10 with the ATI Propriatary driver on a HD4870.

SR_ELPIRATA
March 4th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Dont have an ATI board but soon will be. My question to you would be along the lines of why the main monitor goes to sleep. Have you tried changing the power settings and screensaver so that it never goes to sleep?

You can check these on System = Preferences, in screensaver and power management. Id set them both to never. If you want to save electricity just manually power down the monitor.

The other suggestion would be to have the main monitor set as secondary and leave the DVI as main. I have a feeling you love to see the HDMI one but if its going to sleep its because you dont use it much? And if you dont use it much... why is set as primary?

ELP:)

chevmaro
March 4th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I changed the settings so it will not sleep. I just leave it as a blank black screen saver and everything works fine.

However, this is still an issue if I manuall put my finger on the power button of the HDMMI monitor. As soon as it turns back on and Retrieves Data.... FROZEN!

And I leave my computer on all day long. I dont like leaving the monitor on. I always feel like im going to wear it out. :)