PDA

View Full Version : The world's first GUI browser was made in/for Linux

mihai.ile
March 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Now this is something I didn't know and probably many of you.

Just read this great article about some Finnish students that made the world's first graphical browser for X Window System!

http://www.xconomy.com/national/2009/03/03/the-greatest-internet-pioneers-you-never-heard-of-the-story-of-erwise-and-four-finns-who-showed-the-way-to-the-web-browser/

swoll1980
March 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Now this is something I didn't know and probably many of you.

Just read this great article about some Finnish students that made the world's first graphical browser for X Window System!

http://www.xconomy.com/national/2009/03/03/the-greatest-internet-pioneers-you-never-heard-of-the-story-of-erwise-and-four-finns-who-showed-the-way-to-the-web-browser/

I thought some guy at CERN made the first web browser.

timClicks
March 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I don't think that Tim Berners-Lee's browser was point and click. HTML was pretty much all about text.

mihai.ile
March 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
well this Finnish browser had point and click and page search and even an crawler to search text on other pages when not found in the displayed page.

Npl
March 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hmm, it wasnt HTML, but a similar capable Hypertext-viewer (ie. a "graphical browser" but having a different syntax than HTML) is AmigaGuide, released in 1992 aswell as part of the Amiga Operating system 2.1.

Vince4Amy
March 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
It doesn't mean it was made in or even for Linux just because it uses X.

mihai.ile
March 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM
if you read the article, it says at least they had a relation with Linux.

Vince4Amy
March 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
if you read the article, it says at least they had a relation with Linux.

I was just stating that just because it's X it doesn't mean it's Linux.

3rdalbum
March 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
The whole concept of Hypertext was pioneered by a Macintosh program called Hypercard, which was a GUI program written in the 1980s. It's not a web browser, but it was the inspiration for both Hypertext and Wikis.