PDA

View Full Version : [other] Dual boot on Lenovo Ideapad S series

pamplepoo
March 4th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I just got my Lenovo S series today (yay! tiny!), and I had been planning on dualbooting WinXP and Ubuntu (or kubuntu)

However, there's no disk for WinXP... because there's no disk drive (this is going to be a fun one to work around!). A friend informed me of a way to install Ubuntu via flash drive, which I haven't found -yet-.

I am, however, a bit concerned with the process of doing the dual booting. The same friend mentioned something about controlling the partition space through Ubuntu, but I was under the impression that you had to uninstall XP before partitioning and loading both OS...

Another friend offered to lend me his external dvd drive so I could install windows from there if need be, but for whatever reason it seems like there SHOULD be a way around using a bum copy of Windows in the first place... Install it and use whatever info's on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop?

Sorry for the rambliness, I hope I got my questions across... Pretty much, how do I set up a dual boot without a disk drive or bum copies of windows?