PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Effects Troubles on Ubuntu 8.10

LeonBlade
March 4th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm sure you are all sick of seeing these kinds of posts but I'm having some trouble with enabling Desktop Effects.

When I had 8.04 LTS I was able to enable Desktop Effects after installing my graphics driver, NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 96).

The only problem was that it limited my resolution tremendously, but I was able to use full desktop effects just fine.

After upgrading to 8.10, I cannot use desktop effects. My resolution is back up to 1600x1024 though, so that is a plus.

My driver IS installed and enabled, but for some reason I cannot get Desktop Effects to work for me.

So, if anyone can help me out with my problem it would be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Leon Blade

Wallies
March 4th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I met the same issue. :(

LeonBlade
March 5th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Does anyone know what my problem is?

LeonBlade
March 6th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Bumping this topic.

Therion
March 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM
My driver IS installed and enabled, but for some reason I cannot get Desktop Effects to work for me.
Which driver though? Are you sure you have the nVidia Restricted Driver installed and running? You've checked?

If so, what happens when you try to enable desktop effects? Do you have the option available and nothing happens, is it greyed out, what?

Have you tried installing compizconfig-settings-manager via Synaptic and enabling the effects that way?

ellalan
March 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Try to install simple-ccsm in synaptics and it might solve your problem. There are new drivers for nvidia and you could try them as well.

LeonBlade
March 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Which driver though? Are you sure you have the nVidia Restricted Driver installed and running? You've checked?

If so, what happens when you try to enable desktop effects? Do you have the option available and nothing happens, is it greyed out, what?

Have you tried installing compizconfig-settings-manager via Synaptic and enabling the effects that way?

Alright, I downloaded Compiz and as soon as I did I tried to use it and got the error.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/LeonandMyMom/desktopeffectsproblem.png

After having to reinstall Ubuntu, don't ask, the driver isn't coming up at all...

Anyone know how I can get this working?

Thanks,
LeonBlade

zeldarocks
March 9th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I'm having this exact same problem, the effects won't enable

StaticIp
March 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have another problem, I got the driver enabled (dont ask it just worked) and whenever its enabled the desktop effects work but some programs, amarok, wine and openoffice just to name a few are screwing up. I cant see anything in the settings boxes in any of them. The window looks blank, any suggestions?

prariedogn
March 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Good morning all, I have a problem with my distro's desktop. I am using dual NVidia XFX 250 mb 8600 graphics cards. I attempted to enable desktop effects after installing Ubuntu 8.10. I downloaded the recommended NVidia driver, but now when I attempt to boot into the OS, I get what looks like a command line screen. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do? I cannot get into my desktop at all. Many Thanks, hope someone can help.

mhgsys
March 16th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Good morning all, I have a problem with my distro's desktop. I am using dual NVidia XFX 250 mb 8600 graphics cards. I attempted to enable desktop effects after installing Ubuntu 8.10. I downloaded the recommended NVidia driver, but now when I attempt to boot into the OS, I get what looks like a command line screen. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do? I cannot get into my desktop at all. Many Thanks, hope someone can help.

in recovery modes:

you might want to backup the original xorg.conf so you can easily compare the 2 so you can put back some settings (like video drivers etc)

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and save it like xorgbackup.conf or something like that.

then

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

to reset xorg.conf

then reboot or start gdm again with

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart