PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Mini Desktop Viewer

JonDubya
March 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I love the virtual desktops, they really help organize my stuff. I was wondering if there is a plasma widget/applet that allows you to view all your virtual desktops in a scaled down pane on one/all desktops? Essentially so you can see what is taking place on all desktops from a window on any one desktop.

mtbsoft
March 4th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Don't know if this is exactly what you want but, if you use Compiz, you could try the Expo plugin - it lays out all your desktops side-by-side, like one big wall. The windows are still 'live' but smaller of course. The more desktops you have, though, the smaller they are so it may not be quite what you need.

Alternatively, if you just want to flick to it and back again, try the Unfold option on the Compiz Desktop Cube (ctrl-alt-down) or if you don't use the Cube, look at Desktop Wall.

Compiz is your friend!

onero
March 4th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I use Desktop Wall in Compiz, but I don't think that's what the OP is looking for since I also want something similar :) Usually when I'm doing something in one Desktop, I also want to monitor what's going on in another Desktop, for example if I'm waiting for some operation to finish. Kind of like the Workspace Switcher applet, but bigger and with live previews. Does anything like this exist, a widget or application or something similar? Thanks!

JonDubya
March 4th, 2009, 05:39 AM
That's not what I want. I want the standard full, singular desktop to take up the entire screen, but in the corner have a window that shows all 4 virtual desktops (and respectively open windows). That way if you're running something on one desktop, you can monitor it's progress from another desktop without having to switch back and forth between desktops or use the "see all open windows, then click on the one you want to set focus" option when you put the mouse in the top left corner (I don't know what it's really called...).

Monsieur Gonzalez
March 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Well, you could try adding a pager widget, and resizing it to your liking. You have to activate the icon view in the widget configuration, and you get a list of running apps on mouse hovering.

JonDubya
March 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Well, you could try adding a pager widget, and resizing it to your liking. You have to activate the icon view in the widget configuration, and you get a list of running apps on mouse hovering.
Essentially I want a pager widget that shows the actual windows in the previews, not just their window borders/outlines.

Monsieur Gonzalez
March 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I see. Well, the closest thing I can think of is the Present Windows effect, where you use Ctrl+F10 to show windows from all desktops.