PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] emerald not working after new motherboard installed

friendavid
March 4th, 2009, 03:09 AM
To those who might be able to help,

So I am new. i was sick of windows and asked my computer buddy to install an OS that doesnt suck. he installed hardy on my machine and made it sweet. emerald was working fine, and the games worked. effects and themes and stuff were great when he had it. then i had him ship it to me. i wa in a cast iron yank to get'er up and running when i got it. i new i should let it warm up so i pulled the side panel of the tower and noticed some screws on the bottom, just loose and laying there. so i gott them out and sort of checked it out. seemed good. warmed up hooked up and power on... nada. lame. ok so dig deeper and find a panel mount lug for the motherboard stuck between the MB and the panel. i fried my MB. so i got a new boxd945gclf2 from newegg, put it in and got it right and powered on and its good. hardy recognized it fine. i have learned a lot in these last three weeks, but i got a long way to go. i cant get emerald to work. i have tried many different sets of instructions. emerald --replace is a no go and compiz-fusion icon didnt help. uninstalling and reinstalling all the packages did nothing as well. i did resolution915 and no. the gnome games all work except for any first person shooters, cube2 and sauerbraten. half life won't run in wine anymore. i wonder if its just a driver or another simple thing i wouldnt know. or might it be that the onboard video is to lame. my res is as hi as it goes with no trouble. 1680x1050 and plays movies like a champ. acer 22 in lcd. thanks for your time.

friendavid be

celticbhoy
March 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I presume that you are using on-board graphics. If so what chip is it on the MBoard. The intel chip on my desktop wont run emerald, but the intel on my aspire one copes without probs.

friendavid
March 4th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Yes i am using onboard video, "Intel 945GC Express Chipset featuring Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950" is exactly what the box says.

celticbhoy
March 4th, 2009, 03:29 AM
The desktop that doesn't work is an 945G
The netbook that does work is an 945GME

My guess is the chip doesn't support the features emerald uses.

You could try googling on the chipset and emerald, but I would not hold out much hope.

You will probably have to look for a gtk theme that takes your fancy.

friendavid
March 4th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Ok, i have googled the !@#@#%$%^ out of that stuff and thats why i started a thread. thats fine. is gtk just a gnome decorator. do i have it already. do i just get themes from synaptic.

celticbhoy
March 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Yes GTK is the standard window decorator for gnome, you can download more themes for it at gnome-look.org. You can access the themes by going to system-->Preferances-->Appearance. There you can install any themes you have downloaded.