PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] failure to download during setup

jimminycricket
March 4th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I have been trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 from CD on a Windows computer. I couldn't get the computer to boot from the CD, but instead opened the file wubi.exe from the command prompt (DOS). This seemed to work fine. I got to a window where I was able to set the installation drive, installation size, Ubuntu/Kubuntu/etc., password, etc. When I clicked Next, it started to download, sai\d something about a second attempt, then brings up a message saying "The download was interrupted due to the error:", but gives no error message, just an [OK] box.

The connection should be fine. I had the computer hooked up directly to the same modem that is providing this connection right now.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

ianto`
March 4th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I do not know the cause of your problem but I can help you remedy a solution. Download an ISO, i.e. Intrepid Desktop and place the ISO in the same folder as Wubi.exe, Wubi will then pickup the ISO and use that rather than the Internet to install/extract Ubuntu. You can download the ISOs from here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/

I hope that this helps,
Ianto.

jimminycricket
March 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Hm. I didn't actually know what an ISO was, and I'm still not sure I understand.

An issue that I failed to mention is that the computer being installed upon is without an operating system, or to be more accurate, has Windows XP installed but not running due to the fact that it was pirated.

I've just noticed that Wubi.exe seems to be the version to install through windows, and perhaps that's not what I want anyway?

I'm thinking that if I just download the normal version and try to get it to boot from CD, it shouldn't need to connect to the internet?

Thanks for your speedy reply.