PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] text login

harkness
March 4th, 2009, 02:40 AM
hi
i've just recently installed kubuntu and downloaded and installed the ati proprietary driver, its defaulted to a resolution higher than my monitor, so i can't view x, how can i get it to boot to a text login where i can run the ati config file and set my resolution? always worked fine with opensuse using the distribution specific package, but there wasn't an option for kubuntu

cheers

celticbhoy
March 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Boot into recovery mode, and there is an option to setup screen resolution.

harkness
March 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
i have booted in to recovery mode, there is no option to change resolution, just one to try fix the x server, it doesn't work. initially on my monitor which is a 19" tft it was saying 1600*1200 out of range, i usually use the monitor at 1280*960, i then tried to connect it to my tv through hdmi from dvi, which technically won't display 1600*1200 either but tends to just try show an image, on that it displayed my login screen but totally messed up, i could make out enough to log in and try change my screen settings in kde, but x crashed before i could, probably, due to this driver. now when i connect to the monitor again i'm just getting kubuntu loading screen at first, then when my login screem should come up i get what looks like purple scribbles, presumably from a messed up x server. if i press CTRL + ALT + F* and get a text login prompt and login, i have tried running the aticonfig-iniitial, but the computer just crashes before i have much of a chance to do anything and the monitor turns off presumably due to x crashing in the background, any ideas?

harkness
March 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
ive just decided to cut my losses and install kubuntu again, i think where i messed up was by restarting x before running the aticonfig file, i have now done that, and set my resolutions using aticonfig --resolutions= or whatever it was. now in kde i've got 1280*960, the resolution i was looking for, working on the ati drivers, but the screen is going black for a few seconds a few times per minute, i'm wondering if it could be anything to do with the refresh rate but i don't know how to change it, also its calling my monitor crt1, its a tft screen, i don't know if thats going to make any difference or if crt1 is just what its calling the dvi output on my card (X1650XT), any help is massively appreciated

celticbhoy
March 4th, 2009, 03:56 PM
As you are now into a desktop (of sorts) you could try and re-install the graphics driver.