PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wired Broadband Internet Connection In 8.10

ironblossom
March 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Im a newbee on the linux world. recently installed ubuntu 8.10 but my internet connection is'nt setup yet. heard that ubuntu sets up internet connection automatically.....!!!
i use realtek ethernet lancard/modem......it works fine in my xp.
i tried 'HARDWARE DEVICES'.....from the 'SYSTEM'....on taskbar in my ubuntu 8.10....but there's no hardwares.......not even a single one.

while browsing i got some blurry advices about this, such putting codes on 'TERMINAL'.....like ifconfig

but still cant find the way to solve........all i can say to guys that 'help me!!!!':(

LegendofTom
March 4th, 2009, 01:14 AM
So have you tried typing "ifconfig" into the terminal? Your first step should be to make sure Ubuntu is recognizing your hardware. Did you have your box connected to the internet when you installed Ubuntu?

ironblossom
March 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
yeah........tried ifconfig.......but cant show u the output as a have to switch to ubuntu from xp, where no wired connection......i tried 'HARDWARE DEVICES'..........which outputs something like 'NO prop............hardware found'.

LegendofTom
March 4th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Try "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" in the terminal. If that doesn't work, try to force your eth0 to start, with "ifup eth0". If it still doesn't work after that, reboot, and cross your fingers.

ironblossom
March 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM

this is the output. i also attach the output of ifconfig

LegendofTom
March 5th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I see your eth0 is up, but has no IP. Are you sure DHCP is enabled? Also, "permission denied" is just Ubuntu's way of telling you to use sudo. So, try "sudo ifdown eth0" and then "sudo ifup eth0".