PDA

View Full Version : I think I just heard Sony et al breakinto a chorus of foul language.

Skripka
March 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Could it be that BluRay is going to go the way of all prior Sony proprietary (and expensive) formats?

HD battle on the eastern front? Warner to support CBHD

Warner Bros. has decided that it has had enough of this "one HD format" business and now plans to release some of its films in CBHD, a Chinese high-definition disc format that has so far failed to compete with Blu-ray. If other studios join Warner, perhaps the format war isn't over after all.

http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/03/warner-bros-to-support-chinese-blu-ray-competitor-cbhd.ars

Considering my odds of legal CBHD (presuming it lasts etc ) playback on Linux are scientifically proven to be about 400X higher than ever playing BluRay via Linux...I think I might like it.

N4zgu1
March 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Come on, sony already won the war, why do they want to continue fighting?

mips
March 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I think I might like it.

I don't think you will get to have it though.

If you live in a 'rich' country they would rather sell you blu-ray and make more money off you. I suspect this will be widely available in china though and proably some other asian countries as well.

PhoenixMaster00
March 4th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Smart decision by Warner. Opens up the Chinese market for them. Doubt we will ever see this format over here though.