PDA

View Full Version : The End of Heartache...

speedkreature
March 3rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
...is two things:

1) The name of a song by band "Killswitch Engage" and the first song that played when I started the Last.fm scrobbler on first boot after a system transplant. I thought that was a bit serendipitous.

2) What I have just experienced.

I've just transplanted my workstation from an MSI barebone with an Intel Core2 Duo and a G965 chipset with an Nvidia 8400GS. I've built many Ubuntu systems. Workstations, Servers...installed it on several notebooks. I've never transplanted a hard drive and graphics card from one Ubuntu system to a brand new system. In Windows, if the chipsets don't match (and your OS isn't the Server line of products) you're SOL. Back-up your data and re-install. My new build is an Athlon Phenom II 710 Tri-Core with the 780 chipset. Both systems had 4GB of RAM. I attempted an Intel to AMD transplant once with Debian Sarge and once with Slackware 10 and those didn't go well. Back then, I didn't have a clue so any issues meant a fresh install. I honestly expected some problems and I was prepared to handle whatever came my way. I did not expect to have everything working with no effort on my part aside from building my new rig and turning it on. What a pleasant surprise--I mean seriously, how often does that happen in IT? I can count on 1 hand the number of times a project has had 0 complications (including minor things like a single user reporting a slower connection to a database).

The best part of this is that this system is my work PC, in a company that relies heavily on Windows. And everything still works. Accessing Windows shares via Samaba, Active Directory integration (that was a PITA to set up), my dual monitor setup...it all just works. And, aside from the Active Directory tid-bits, everything on the original build was easy to set up.

None of this would have been possible without Canonical and the this rockin' community.

So it is done. The powers that be were watching very closely while I made this transition from Windows to Linux, and then from one build to another. Thanks to all of the hard work of all of those involved, this OS (Linux), which started as a hobby, now stands a good chance in replacing other non-Free OS's throughout this organization.

If only Ubuntu had a solid directory service comparable to Active Directory...

I just wanted to take the time to share this because it never hurts to read more good news...unless you're the guy making a living on bad news.