PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote Desktop as a Service on Ubunto

notquiteanewbie
March 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
I apologize if this has been covered previously. I've tried searching several forums with no luck.

I am a long time windows users that has been recently converted over to Mac.

I am running Leopard 10.5.6 as my primary computer and my media computer is running Ubuntu 8.1 all on a local network.

I want to be able to power on the ubuntu computer and log into it via Remote Desktop/VNC.

Note:
Currently I am only able to do this by first logging into ubunto from that machine then once that session is already started I can remote in from my mac. This is annoying. It should be able to start as a service without me needing to login.

I am open to any ideas.

Thank you in advance

dfme
March 3rd, 2009, 11:39 PM
hi,
try:
http://www.nomachine.com/
good remote desktop application which runs over standard ssh connections using data compression!
so it's fast and secure :D

notquiteanewbie
March 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Thank you, do you know if the app is able to run as a service? so I don't have to log in first.

I've gathered so far that this seems to be a limitation of gnome however it appears this is a default setting, as it is considered a security concern, however I'm not sure where it can be changed.

dfme
March 4th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Thank you, do you know if the app is able to run as a service? so I don't have to log in first.

yes... as long as you have an ssh daemon running on your server (or the machine you want to connect to) you can connect via nx machine.
to install ssh daemon (sshd):

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

nx machine also works with KDE. no limitations

notquiteanewbie
March 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the help.

I followed the instructions...openssh appears to be running now as a daemon (verified in services) but still not working at startup....

Nomachine is very fast. I'm not a fan that I can't shutdown or restart the computer via the gui but thats a small trade off.

Any idea why I still can't connect at startup?

x1101
March 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM
If security isn't a concern for you, you could just set Gnome up to auto log in (in the options its called timed login). most likely if this no machine requires Gnome at all you would not be able to start it before Gnome is started (and that doesn't happen until you log in, up till then its GDM).

Hope that gives you some thoughts.

dfme
March 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the help.

I followed the instructions...openssh appears to be running now as a daemon (verified in services) but still not working at startup....
hmmm... if you have installed openssh on your ubuntu machine then it should always start running when powering on (without having to logon into a gnome or kde session)
before using nx machine to connect try to connect to your ubuntu machine via ssh. in the console (i think on a mac the console is called terminal) enter

ssh username@ip
replace username and ip ;)
you should then be asked for a password. if this is the case the ssh daemon is running on your ubuntu machine.

Nomachine is very fast. I'm not a fan that I can't shutdown or restart the computer via the gui but thats a small trade off.
Any idea why I still can't connect at startup?
another hmmm... i'm able to shutdown or restart the machine remotely using nx machine... otherwise in the console of the ubuntu machine you can enter:

sudo shutdown -h now
-h shuts the machine down. with -r the machine is restarted.

Sagefrog
April 19th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Independence IT will host your PC-based applications in their data center, purchase and maintain best-in-class technologies and use industry-leading controls. The Independence IT team handles your day-to-day management, information security, data backup and recovery, and end user connectivity. So you can quickly, efficiently, and affordably create a virtual IT department that rivals those of Fortune 500 companies. Contact Independence IT(client) today - (888) 299-4552 wwww.independenceit.com (http://www.independenceit.com)

Hope this helps!