PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Needing a better Screen Resolution. w/ SiS graphics, drivers and xorg.conf

frammy7
March 3rd, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm attempting to put Ubuntu 8.10 onto a HP T5720 thin client (don't ask why, its just me being geeky). but I'm having a few problems with getting a nice screen resolution (which is a problem I seem to forever have with Linux :( and it keeps putting me off...)
I've looked up some other posts/forums about getting it to work, but I'm still stuck - so hopefully someone can help me out?!

OK. my lspci | grep VGA shows:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

(which according to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=450176 seems to say I have the SiS drivers installed?) and they are already ticked/installed according to Synaptic.

My xorg.conf just contains:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
and thats it.

And if I go to System > Preferences > Screen Resolution I can only set it as high as 1024 x 768.

I know the graphics in the T5720 can go higher, as when it was running XP Embedded it would do 1280 x 1024 and even higher! (and I know my monitor can easily display it)..
SO... is there any way to get Ubuntu to show 1280 x 1024? Do I have the right drivers? Do I have to edit the xorg.conf file - or can I populate it automatically? As it seems to be missing a few things?! If so, where do I get the info from?
(I don't want 3D or anything fancy... just a high resolution...)

Any help would be really amazing!