PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] smaller version to save hard drive space?

sansa dude
March 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
ok im on a 10gb hard drive with my laptop and i would like to know if there is a version of xubuntu that comes with just the minimum programs installed to run it ( so no abi word, thunderbird firefox etc.) so i can download my own applications? that i want to save space?

kyphi
March 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Try the Base Install from this address: http://www.eeebuntu.org/

sansa dude
March 3rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Try the Base Install from this address: http://www.eeebuntu.org/

is this xubuntu? and how does it run on older computers? (10 years old)

sansa dude
March 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
i just google a base install for xubuntu and i found this: http://akosidexter.wordpress.com/2006/10/21/xubuntu-pimp-my-gateway-solo-3350-notebook/

i have abou the same specs as the com puter in it but my computer is a dell and i have a 14.1 inch screen and i have 256mb of RAM i think im at 700mhz and i have no external drive other than that its pretty much all the same.

but in that article it said he installed a base install which was the server version. can i install that and be able to build from that?

ajgreeny
March 3rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) which installs just the minimal installation of ubuntu to which you can then add any desktop you want, and also applications as and when you need them.

sansa dude
March 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
ok thanks for the help, but when i install the minumal version of ubuntu can i then install xubuntu and still have the minimals? i would prefer xubuntu because it works better on the older machines

ajgreeny
March 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Just install xfce4 and not xubuntu-desktop and you will get just the DE without all the clutter that makes xubuntu what it is. On my gnome machine with no xfce at all that means a download of 16.5MB and disk usage of 50.5MB, so still very small. You can then add whatever you need.

sansa dude
March 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Perfect!! when i get that do i just install the Xfce4 from the add/remove menu? or will i just google it an download it there?

ajgreeny
March 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Perfect!! when i get that do i just install the Xfce4 from the add/remove menu? or will i just google it an download it there?
From the add/remove menu will do it.

sansa dude
March 4th, 2009, 01:33 AM
ok i ran it now when i boot it up it will ask me for my username and password when its still in the black background before the actuall operations system starts then it comes up with a terminal and thats it. is there a code i can run to install the desktop? or did i go wrong somewhere in the setup?

sansa dude
March 4th, 2009, 03:34 AM
ok this time i ran it agin and this time i selected the xubuntu desktopthen it asks you instead on samba (i thought you would select the OS later or something like that)
so il'l see how it goes

sansa dude
March 4th, 2009, 04:49 AM
ok i did that and it still came up with the terminal page what am i doing wrong?

ajgreeny
March 4th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Sorry, I think you also need to install gdm before you will get the GUI to come up automatically, though it may be that the command
startx will also work for the moment.

sansa dude
March 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Sorry, I think you also need to install gdm before you will get the GUI to come up automatically, though it may be that the command
startx will also work for the moment.

ok i ran that then it said its not currently installed and gave me another code line to run, so i ran it. it did a couple things and ran some packages the it came back up to the terminal line
then i rebooted and it came up with the same stuff as it did before

ajgreeny
March 4th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Did you
sudo apt-get install gdm to get the display manager?

sansa dude
March 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM
ok i ran that and a whole bunch of things came up and then it finnaly said something like to continue a total of 7xxmbs will be used. so i pressed yes. just one question, will this install programs too? so i can install my programs from scratch?

ajgreeny
March 5th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Once you get a gui you will be able to add synaptic if you want it,
sudo apt-get synaptic or continue using apt-get. Synaptic will make it much easier to search for applications.

sansa dude
March 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM
perfect!!! ok can i now install the xubuntu with the instructions from ubuntu? and still keep the minimum applications? or will i have to install the xfce4 desktop?

ajgreeny
March 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
xubuntu is still a bit heavy on applications and you may prefer to stick just with the xfce4 desktop, rather than xubuntu-desktop which brings in lots of applications. However, xfce4 is the desktop environment that xubuntu uses, so if you do decide to install xubuntu-desktop you will not need to also install xfce4; it will already be there.

sansa dude
March 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM
xubuntu is still a bit heavy on applications and you may prefer to stick just with the xfce4 desktop, rather than xubuntu-desktop which brings in lots of applications. However, xfce4 is the desktop environment that xubuntu uses, so if you do decide to install xubuntu-desktop you will not need to also install xfce4; it will already be there.

ok i did run
sudo apt-get install xfce4 and got alot of files being installed (about 30mb) so where can i goto install this? other than that i should be good thanks for all the help!!!!

ajgreeny
March 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
ok i did run
sudo apt-get install xfce4 and got alot of files being installed (about 30mb) so where can i goto install this? other than that i should be good thanks for all the help!!!!
What do you mean by this? Have you tried startx in your console (dos like) start up screen?

sansa dude
March 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
What do you mean by this? Have you tried startx in your console (dos like) start up screen?

yea i did enter it but it didn't do any thing now it comes up in regular Ubuntu with gnome

ajgreeny
March 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Ok, when you get to the login screen of gdm go to the options menu and choose xfce. That should do it.