PDA

View Full Version : Is ITT Tech a good school for networking administration?

swoll1980
March 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Heard some stories that got me worried about weather, or not I made a good decision. Anyone here a graduate? What did you think?

saulgoode
March 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Personally, I think ITT is great. It does seem to be disparaged a bit on the cocktail circuit, but the graduates I've worked with have all been quite competent (more so than many of the university-bred employees).

Unless ITT's reputation is so poor that it hinders you finding work -- and to the contrary I hear that their placement services are rather good -- two weeks after you start a job, nobody will care what is printed your sheepskin.

swoll1980
March 4th, 2009, 07:42 AM
That's good to hear

adamlau
March 4th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Rep is definitely poor around certain circles.

Icehuck
March 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
What do you mean by good school? Is it a school that will get you the same prestige as graduating from MIT? No, but it will let you learn about networking. If it's focusing on Cisco then it really doesn't matter where you go. Just say no to e-labs.

cmat
March 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
My mother is HR at an IT company and ITT is frowned upon there. The are at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to employment. They prefer University students from particular schools, in the case here Waterloo and UofT. Then other universities, then college, then ITT, CDI, etc. I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere but it sure is here.

The more hands on approach colleges take may create a more proficient employee than University, but they want people that have taken interdisciplinary courses.

mips
March 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
The more hands on approach colleges take may create a more proficient employee than University, but they want people that have taken interdisciplinary courses.

Dunno about ITT but I think this is a genral thing in industry. Degree from recognised university + Cert. Cert alone style education is not enough for some corps.

swoll1980
March 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Dunno about ITT but I think this is a genral thing in industry. Degree from recognised university + Cert. Cert alone style education is not enough for some corps.

ITT is different than a cert program you get degrees, associate, or bachelor, depending on how long you go.

YoungQuiz
March 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM
im a student there now.

its not bad although it is laid back as far as work is concerned.

you you take it upon yourself to read and do the lab material on your own time you will be fine. the hands on part of the networking program is good.