PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my external hard drive problem

crazlaw151
March 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
hey guys, by now I'm sure you've heard this before and I did take some time to look up the answer I still need some help.

I have a maxtor external 750gb hard drive that says "unable to mount volume" when I try to plus it in and view my files on there. I have a lot of stuff on there and don't want to lose it if possible. I need to know how I can get the computer to open it and let me view the files. It already shows that it is there, just not able to mount. Thanks in advance.

taurus
March 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Maybe you want to connect it back to a windows machine and use the safely remove hardware option to unmount it before you unplug it.

Otherwise, open a terminal and post the output of this command.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

sudo fdisk -l

crazlaw151
March 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I do that and it pulls up the info for it, but still says unable to mount. I'll try hooking it up to a windows machine tonight and trying but in case that doesn't work what else could I try?

Like i said i would love to not have to reformat so I don't lose everything thats on it because thats where i backed up all my files before I switched to Ubuntu. Thanks again.

taurus
March 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM
While the drive is plugged in, post the outputs of these two commands from a terminal.

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

sudo fdisk -l
df -h