PDA

View Full Version : songbird my review

EnGorDiaz
March 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
it's the best music player I have come across.

i dnt need pulse audio either, I could be playing a game and the audio would work (all audio), without it clashing. I think that's because it uses its own gstreamer plugin's.

it also has 1000's of plug ins which are viewable by category on the website.

My conclusion awesome.

Rokurosv
March 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
I think it's awesome too, but if you're looking for something just to play your songs then it's not the best choice. It has tons of features, plus it's a browser, so don't expect it to be too lightweight.

Muffinabus
March 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Meh, I found Songbird to be unnecessarily bloated and even had some problems with it crashing or just flat out stop working at times. I've been using Banshee for the past couple of days and find it to be much better, and it's the only media player I've found that naturally works with my keyboard's media keys.

Though I did like some of the plugins for Songbird.

wildman4god
March 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I like songbird, it doesn't yet have all the features I want yet (like listing to last.fm like you can in other linux players) But it is getting there, they do have plans for a last.fm playing plugin, and they are always working on proformance and stability with each release, I am also looking forward to supporting mtp and usb devices under linux, I hope the implement the .is_audio_player technique to get just about any mp3 player to work with it like banshee does.

EnGorDiaz
March 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I like songbird, it doesn't yet have all the features I want yet (like listing to last.fm like you can in other linux players) But it is getting there, they do have plans for a last.fm playing plugin, and they are always working on proformance and stability with each release, I am also looking forward to supporting mtp and usb devices under linux, I hope the implement the .is_audio_player technique to get just about any mp3 player to work with it like banshee does.

plug ins :P

geoken
March 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
plug ins :P

This one in specific;
http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/21

TeoK
March 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM

My conclusion awesome.

I totally agree. With following reservations:

1. No Equalizer yet ( how bizarre???)
2. No last.fm plugin yet

Over all, Songbird (Mozilla based) is a closest thing to iTunes, a gold standard of simplicity and functionality.
Amarok, Banshee, Exaile, Rhythmbox, Listen, XMMS and whatnot, ARE ALL just God-awful hiccups..and the sooner these amateurish projects are abandoned, the better for Linux.

kk0sse54
March 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
2. No last.fm plugin yet

There's a last fm plugin available see the above posts. Otherwise I love songbird, it's totally bloated and it's against everything I usually demand out of software but I love the fact that's a full feature media player that for me is one of the few on par with Winamp. However ever since I've taken the plunge into KDE, I've actually enjoyed amarok and in Arch mpd has easily become my favorite way of playing music ( with both ncmpcpp or Ario, both are awesome :)).

PhoenixMaster00
March 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM

1. No Equalizer yet ( how bizarre???)
2. No last.fm plugin yet

Over all, Songbird (Mozilla based) is a closest thing to iTunes, a gold standard of simplicity and functionality.
Amarok, Banshee, Exaile, Rhythmbox, Listen, XMMS and whatnot, ARE ALL just God-awful hiccups..and the sooner these amateurish projects are abandoned, the better for Linux.

What is wrong with all those music players? I have a Mac and Ubuntu computer and i think iTunes is mediocre at best, it cant even tag my songs properly (which Amarok and Rhythmbox both do). Infact im keeping an eye on both Songbird and Amarok for Mac for when they can replace iTunes. Infact even Banshee is on Mac which i will be looking at.

Anyway i quite Songbird but why the web browser :| im staying clear for now though because those Plugins keep you roped forever as is the case with Firefox already with all them great plugins. Ill wait till Songbirds better to i really start using it.

Yashiro
March 4th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Songbird fails at doing what it should do best.

Quality Audio Playback. Why is the audio quality and format support so bad? No idea.

mikewhatever
March 4th, 2009, 05:54 AM
And the review is ... where?

gymophett
March 4th, 2009, 06:00 AM
2. No last.fm plugin yet

Yes, in fact there is. Anyway, I like Banshee better.

RPG Master
March 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Songbird fails at doing what it should do best.

Quality Audio Playback. Why is the audio quality and format support so bad? No idea.

Songbird supports MP3, AAC, FLAC, WMA, and Ogg

What audio files are trying to play?

northwestuntu
March 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
i like songbird a lot, but yes way to bloated. if it gets lighter it will be my main song player.

Firestem4
March 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I've been using songbird for a while now on my main computer. I really enjoy it a lot. It may not be as lightweight as some others but the plugins and features available are just astounding. It is one of the few customizable and versatile players i've used (Embedded Mozilla-engine that supports a wide variety of Mozilla add-ons, to name 1)

The only things I am missing, personally: clicking an audio file launches the program (Doesn't currently do that =(

I'm not sure how long Songbird has been out, however I know for a fact its relatively young. As it develops I am sure we'll see much tighter coding and many more plug-ins for it available to improve functionality and performance. (There are already plugin's that support MTP, and all types of audio files - aac to quicktime audio to wmv).

If you look at Songbirds website you will see they have a roadmap set up and you can see what they plan on doing to Songbird.

Tomosaur
March 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I like Songbird but I find the 'subscription' to blogs thing temperamental at best. It just doesn't seem to do what I want it to do, so I generally just stick to banshee or whatever.

swoll1980
March 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Songbird=bloated unstable nightmare. Give me rhythmbox

hyperdude111
March 4th, 2009, 09:44 PM

2. No last.fm plugin yet.

Yes there is, it is also a browser just go to thw website.

legolas_w
March 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The only two shortages for SongBird are:

- the fact that there is no minimizing feature. I used to minimized the player into system tray and use the tray icon to control the player if required.

- There is no Gnome applet to control the songbird (if we were able to minimize it after all)

PS: The equlizer is available in 1.1 along with watch folder and many bug fixes.

Simian Man
March 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Songbird=bloated unstable nightmare. Give me rhythmbox

Absolutely.

visionaire
March 4th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Too bloated for me, i have enough bloat with firefox

I used to use Banshee but i found out that Quod Libet is lighter and works for my music needs

billgoldberg
March 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM

i dnt need pulse audio either, I could be playing a game and the audio would work (all audio), without it clashing. I think that's because it uses its own gstreamer plugin's.

My conclusion awesome.

Lol, read my review:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/songbird-10/

To sum it up in one line:

Nothing to see, move along.

Score: 4/10

crl0901
March 5th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I actually like Songbird a lot. I tried some others, like Amarok 2.0, Rhythmbox and Banshee but Songbird is the one I like the most. I wish it had a desktop album art plugin though. That'd be nice.

Stagnation
March 6th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I find Songbird to be pretty good but it's not quite there yet. I like the layout a lot but the fact that it can't play AudioCDs is inexcusable.

I'm currently switching between Exaile and Amarok 1.4.

JPtux
March 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Amarok 2.0 blows everything out of the water IMHO.

jocheem67
March 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm starting to like it, running the latest beta....

IŽll try it alongside rhythmbox...

The interface is pretty okay.

ErwinC
March 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Quod Libet is lighter and works for my music needs

+1

:guitar:

speedwell68
March 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM

- the fact that there is no minimizing feature. I used to minimized the player into system tray and use the tray icon to control the player if required.

Do a search for the FireTray addon. It does exactly what you want.

Personally I like Songbird. It plays all the files I want. I manages my iPod really well and it is totally cross platform. I can use it to manage my iPod on all three of my Linux machines, the Windows and OSX machines at work.

mividaloca
March 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
The biggest problem with songbird is aMarok II

Mehall
March 10th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I like it, but there's no EQ, not even as an add-on, so I can't use it.

A media player NEEDS an EQ.

nortexoid
April 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM

- There is no Gnome applet to control the songbird (if we were able to minimize it after all)

PS: The equlizer is available in 1.1 along with watch folder and many bug fixes.

This is a glaring exclusion. There needs to be something like an icon providing basic controls in the notification area, like there is with e.g. Banshee. Oh well.

pwnst*r
April 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM

My conclusion awesome.

best "review" ever.

pwnst*r
April 26th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Lol, read my review:

http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/songbird-10/

To sum it up in one line:

Nothing to see, move along.

Score: 4/10

now that my friend, is a real review. thanks for posting the link.