PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Will Ubuntu sit well in a ten gig partition?

Dr.Suave
March 3rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm planning on having my home partition seperate from my system - is ten gig for the system partition a reasonable amount? The documentation seems to imply that ten gigs is more then enough, but I thought I'd check the general opinion before plunging into the long partition process.

Thanks
Wilf

theozzlives
March 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Depends of the size of your drive, if you have a big drive you can go 20 GB, but if space is tight 10 GB will work fine. Like one of my computers has a 150 GB and I got a 20 GB /, but another computer has a 20 GB drive and I have a 10 GB /. You are talking about the root (/) partition right?

Dr.Suave
March 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Well, I have a 150gb drive, but unfortunately I do have to share it with a Vista installation (at least for the time being, anyway. The drive is already partitioned so that Vista sits on a seperate 40gb partition - Vista is currently taking 15gb of that - I was worried that vista would bloat (even more!) and start having disk issues if I took too much from that partition - but maybe I could get away with giving Ubuntu 20GB after all (which would be my preference, as Ubuntu's my primary system). How much breathing space do you think Vista would need?

EDIT! Yeah, I'm talking about root when I say "system"!

Thanks for the help
Wilf

Dr.Suave
March 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
ahh - actaully Vista's taking 25GB - how does it manage?